Jump to content
GPSwap

Discord imposters [way to prevent it]

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, there is a increase of discord scams (mainly a fake mm, using a bug to show exact same name and #) this is a way to prevent it.
 

Use a confirmation pm like this (this should be sent from both parties as that way there is no confusion, you have where everything is going and there is no way for someone to snake in):
 

Spoiler

My Discord: GPSwap#3783
MY ID: 265344606722457602

Your Discord: MithGamed#8833

Your ID: 256586929821319169

 

Trade is: 500m osrs for BTC at $0.63/m

Payment to be sent to: (use this for rsn or btc/paypal addy)

 

Use discord unique ID's in you confirmation PM, unique ID's are set for your discord account and cannot be changed, however they are not normally visible, to see them you must do the following:
 

Open your settings, go to appearance, scroll down to advanced and turn on developer mode:
373430884436254d9b054c8ec548a35a.png

Once you have turned that on you can now copy someones's ID (including your own) by simply right clicking the persons name and clicking copy ID:
d05922e553ae63785ddf749125c97857.gif

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nicksep said:

discord is garbage, including the fact u can just delete msgs, in general scamming is so prevalent.

 

Skype is and always will remain hash 1

 

I love that u can instantly tell a scammer if he has a "live:" username on Skype too

If you're getting scammed by someone who's deleting messages instead of impostering; you were gonna get scammed either. They had those intentions when you/they added you its their main account.

 

imo; people impersonating people have a main account on said forum and think they can get away with it

Edited by BronzeTier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, nicksep said:

discord is garbage, including the fact u can just delete msgs, in general scamming is so prevalent.

 

Skype is and always will remain hash 1

 

I love that u can instantly tell a scammer if he has a "live:" username on Skype too

I mean I agree, discord is garbage, thats why I don't trade on it personally, howeveryou know you can delete messages on skype too? XD 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

Or...you could just ask for a PM.

Nice to stack on layers of security, though. 

 

10 minutes ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

^this. Is it really that hard to verify with PMs? 

The reason I bought it up is because on sythe recently a few people have been scammed where you act as both people and talk to both people, so confirmation goes through as legit, (bare in mind the person scamming has a identical name and #XXXX as both the legitimate people) 

and for the sake of adding a extra copy and paste in a pm and its prevent

Edited by GPSwap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, GPSwap said:

 

The reason I bought it up is because on sythe recently a few people have been scammed where you act as both people and talk to both people, so confirmation goes through as legit, (bare in mind the person scamming has a identical name and #XXXX as both the legitimate people) 

and for the sake of adding a extra copy and paste in a pm and its prevent

Right, but people still need to ask for a PM, lmao. Even when I pay out something small like 1m I have the person PM me their RSN so there's no BS about me paying the wrong person or impostor. I also video all my trades wishing someone tells me they never received the GP. This happened to me before and thank god I had pictures as it was a big trade. They tried arguing saying I photoshopped the pictures. They were an impostor but I don't like BS so I just video everything now.

But yeah, it's nice that you're talking to someone on discord or Skype, but asking for a PM takes an extra 30 seconds and costs you nothing but that wasted 30 seconds of time, yet it's really hard for people to get a PM.

45 minutes ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

^this. Is it really that hard to verify with PMs? 

Yes, it's very hard man. They're expensive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RoomScape said:

Right, but people still need to ask for a PM, lmao. Even when I pay out something small like 1m I have the person PM me their RSN so there's no BS about me paying the wrong person or impostor. I also video all my trades wishing someone tells me they never received the GP. This happened to me before and thank god I had pictures as it was a big trade. They tried arguing saying I photoshopped the pictures. They were an impostor but I don't like BS so I just video everything now.

But yeah, it's nice that you're talking to someone on discord or Skype, but asking for a PM takes an extra 30 seconds and costs you nothing but that wasted 30 seconds of time, yet it's really hard for people to get a PM.

Yes, it's very hard man. They're expensive. 

Yeah thats the point, everyone should always use a pm, but using the discord ID means people cant do person in the middle scams where they get people to send pms (we all know what some peoples PM practices are like) in OP I say always use a confirmation pm and heres how to get the ID to go in your pm 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GPSwap said:

Yeah thats the point, everyone should always use a pm, but using the discord ID means people cant do person in the middle scams where they get people to send pms (we all know what some peoples PM practices are like) in OP I say always use a confirmation pm and heres how to get the ID to go in your pm 

Oh wow, I’m just seeing that. Never knew there was a discord ID like that. That’s pretty cool. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...