Tips For A Beginner

Swizzbeat

So for about a month now I've been learning Javascript along with CSS and a little JQuery. I'm advancing in that pretty well but as I'm entering my senior year of high school and programming is something I want to do as a full time job I'm going to need to learn other things besides just that. Does anyone have useful advice on what I can start looking into, or if I should even just stay with what I'm doing right now?

In the end by the end of this school year I want to have a general knowledge of all the major languages that I would need as a programmer. I don't mean just one, like Java, I mean literally THEM ALL as I'd like to help my dad (who's been a consultant for 30+ years) start up a software business and be able to complete any task that a company would give. I know it sounds far fetched but I'm going to put my mind to this and make it a reality.

Please just leave any advice you have for me :D

Well, firstly, HTML isn't a programming language. Also, what you are learning now is useful for front-end design. Learn Rails, Python, PHP, Perl, etc.

Isn't Python a little bit old? I could be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that Python was more a of play around kind of language and not actually useful when it came to real world situations.

Well, firstly, HTML isn't a programming language. Also, what you are learning now is useful for front-end design. Learn Rails, Python, PHP, Perl, etc.

HTML = Hypertext Markup Language

Lol

But as for OP:

I'd suggest getting the basic syntax of a common and widely used language, like C++ or Java (both of which have promising futures in the terms of the programming world). After that, you'd better understand other languages and have sort of a base knowledge of what is happening.

It really depends what field you want to get into, because programming encompasses a wide variety of jobs and careers.

I'm so happy you are putting your mind to this and making it a reality! All of the power to you!

Lol

But as for OP:

I'd suggest getting the basic syntax of a common and widely used language, like C++ or Java (both of which have promising futures in the terms of the programming world). After that, you'd better understand other languages and have sort of a base knowledge of what is happening.

It really depends what field you want to get into, because programming encompasses a wide variety of jobs and careers.

I'm so happy you are putting your mind to this and making it a reality! All of the power to you!

HTML is a Markup language it's not considered a "Programming Language" as PHP isn't either when compared to Java or C++

:)

Lol

But as for OP:

Yeah, note that you said Hypertext Markup Language. HTML is not a programming language. Refer to this.

Isn't Python a little bit old? I could be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that Python was more a of play around kind of language and not actually useful when it came to real world situations.

I guess Google must be outdated then, huh?

To start programming, learn Turing and Python... Two very easy programs to learn. For example:

Easy:

Hello World Program in Turing:

put "Hello World"

Hello World Program in Python:

print "Hello World!";

Hard:

Hello World Program in Java:

class HelloWorldApp {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Hello World!"); // Display the string.
}
}

Hello World Program in C++:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Hello World Program in C#:

public class Hello1