How do I learn Java/Scripting for RuneScape

EasyBeef

so many people try to do OSBot programming at the same time as trying to learn java and they end up getting spoonfed thousands of different snippets of code, they compile something that they dont understand, and they instantly get errors.

learn java first. buy a couple books, look at @@Juggles 's thread for starting java as well

• Like 2

so many people try to do OSBot programming at the same time as trying to learn java and they end up getting spoonfed thousands of different snippets of code, they compile something that they dont understand, and they instantly get errors.

learn java first. buy a couple books, look at @@Juggles 's thread for starting java as well

Learn the basics first. The if-elses and forloops and all that sht. Google em. I'm trying too learn too. Just can't get the hang of the osbot api as of now.

Cheers guys, what program do I use/is most common for scripting? (sorry for newb question)

Hi, I can't stress enough how important it is to get the basics down. 

Learning if/else, understanding the basic skeleton of a script, logic, and knowing how to properly use an onLoop is very important. 

The basics are used in every script so you will need to learn those. I suggest Code Academy as it really helps to get the basics down. 
At first it will seem confusing and difficult, but it gets easier with practice. 

Head First Java is also a good book to get the basics down, specifically the first few chapters. 

If you're sole purpose is to only write scripts for runescape, then just get the basics down and do Code Academy. The book is also useful if you want more in sight. 

Then I suggest copy and pasting some sample codes from here and start with a basic woodcutter. 

Try to figure out how to interact with objects like the tree and banker. Figure out how to walk, etc.

Here was my story to becoming a script writer

http://osbot.org/forum/topic/95239-becoming-a-script-writer/page-1

Here is an example of a basic chopper I made along time ago explaining the basics. 

http://pastebin.com/ZN54LfHq

Feel free to copy and paste that and edit it. 

Please don't try to start by coding complex stuff that you don't understand. It is very annoying when I see people who can't code a simple woodcutter try and coding more complex things. Take baby steps and get the basics down. 

Goodluck and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask smile.png

P.S. Stay away from the chatbox with your questions, you will most likely be trolled. @Tom will roast you about any questions you ask.

Edited by Juggles
  • Like 4

Hi, I can't stress enough how important it is to get the basics down. 

Learning if/else, understanding the basic skeleton of a script, logic, and knowing how to properly use an onLoop is very important. 

The basics are used in every script so you will need to learn those. I suggest Code Academy as it really helps to get the basics down. 

At first it will seem confusing and difficult, but it gets easier with practice. 

Head First Java is also a good book to get the basics down, specifically the first few chapters. 

If you're sole purpose is to only write scripts for runescape, then just get the basics down and do Code Academy. The book is also useful if you want more in sight. 

Then I suggest copy and pasting some sample codes from here and start with a basic woodcutter. 

Try to figure out how to interact with objects like the tree and banker. Figure out how to walk, etc.

Here was my story to becoming a script writer

http://osbot.org/forum/topic/95239-becoming-a-script-writer/page-1

Here is an example of a basic chopper I made along time ago explaining the basics. 

http://pastebin.com/ZN54LfHq

Feel free to copy and paste that and edit it. 

Please don't try to start by coding complex stuff that you don't understand. It is very annoying when I see people who can't code a simple woodcutter try and coding more complex things. Take baby steps and get the basics down. 

Goodluck and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask smile.png

P.S. Stay away from the chatbox with your questions, you will most likely be trolled. @Tom will roast you about any questions you ask.

Chur bo, appreciate it. Got a skype I can talk to you on? :) 

This is the way it is learning any programming language. Thats why places like SOF exist. When you're new you don't understand the code you copy pasta but as long as it works that's ok. Then you look into it deeper and eventually you understand it.