Webwalking, omit specific area

Abuse

With area I meant the class "Area",

Let's say that I am walking to area / position "x":

getWalking().webWalk(x);

But I don't want to go through the high level NPCs at area "avoidMe", I'd like to do something in the lines of

final WebWalkEvent walkingEvent = new WebWalkEvent(x);
walkingEvent.setAvoidArea(avoidMe);

execute(walkingEvent);

Doing the above will make your path calculation algorithm calculate a path that does not go through "avoidMe"

From a programmer point of view, I think it would be easy to implement if you treated 'avoidMe' area as an unwalkable object that has the size of the area.

This would still sometimes,if the area is small enough, make us go through the "avoidMe" area trying to "walk around it" but it would never place a path point within that area.

If done right, this could be very flexible. You could put areas around specific doors, pathways, shortcuts, .. that you don't want to go through and have the a* calculate an alternative route

Edited by Abuse

Hey, I was wondering if it is possible to tell the webWalker not to go through a specific area?

The destination can only be a single area, so I can't pre-define paths

That is not currently possible as Alek has said, but perhaps if you detailed your specific use case we could offer an alternative temporary solution?

For example if your player always walks past these dangerous npcs, you could web walk to a position just before them, then walk a fixed path around the npcs, then carry on web walking to the destination.

Not too sure what you mean by "The destination can only be a single area", maybe you could clarify this

• Like 1

That is not currently possible as Alek has said, but perhaps if you detailed your specific use case we could offer an alternative temporary solution?

For example if your player always walks past these dangerous npcs, you could web walk to a position just before them, then walk a fixed path around the npcs, then carry on web walking to the destination.

Not too sure what you mean by "The destination can only be a single area", maybe you could clarify this

Let me clarify that last point,

I have a script that operates at ~30 different areas, then once the inventory is full it finds the nearest bank and goes to it.

I'm relying on the webWalker to get me from point a to point b, then back to point a and it does a great job.

Sometimes, when the conditions are right, it also walks from one of the 30 areas, to a different area in the same list

Since point a and point b can be a combination of 30 different starting points and 8 different banks, It's impossible for me to make the webWalker inteligently avoid the high level NPC area, so I just tell it to go the nearest bank.

That's the reason why I can't:

web walk to a position just before them

Of course, I could make an exception in my code for when a player is within X squares of the dangerous area, and make it take an alternative route, but it would be nice to be able to dynamically do it.

Edited by Abuse

Let me clarify that last point,

I have a script that operates at ~30 different areas, then once the inventory is full it finds the nearest bank and goes to it.

I'm relying on the webWalker to get me from point a to point b, then back to point a and it does a great job.

Sometimes, when the conditions are right, it also walks from one of the 30 areas, to a different area in the same list

Since point a and point b can be a combination of 30 different starting points and 8 different banks, It's impossible for me to make the webWalker inteligently avoid the high level NPC area, so I just tell it to go the nearest bank.

That's the reason why I can't:

Of course, I could make an exception in my code for when a player is within X squares of the dangerous area, and make it take an alternative route, but it would be nice to be able to dynamically do it.

Ok, I thought you might be doing something like that, just wanted to make sure

• Like 1