Mods to increase horsepower on my Mustang?

Master Chief

I have a 2014 Mustang GT, I've done a ton of work on the exterior and it's beautiful but I don't want to do much else to the exterior. It's time to do some engine work. What are some starter mods I can do that will make a car a bit quicker? I'm planning on buying a supercharger after college but until then I still want to do some work.

Give me ideas

Here's my baby btw

XQ8kcO3.jpg

Nice car wub.png

I have an 01 gt. I'm jealous. unsure.png

Was going to say turbo after reading the title but I guess a supercharger works too haha.

Well if you don't have them yet then most definitely long tube headers with an O/R pipe (depending on your state).  

Look into different rear end I don't know how the gearing is on the 14 gt's because of 6 speed but I like my 3.73's on my 01.

And I'd get a tuner for the O/R exhaust.

Edited by Tyelr

Nice car wub.png

I have an 01 gt. I'm jealous. unsure.png

Was going to say turbo after reading the title but I guess a supercharger works too haha.

Well if you don't have them yet then most definitely long tube headers with an O/R pipe (depending on your state).  

Look into different rear end I don't know how the gearing is on the 14 gt's because of 6 speed but I like my 3.73's on my 01.

And I'd get a tuner for the O/R exhaust.

Thanks man! Would you say turbo is better than a supercharger? I've heard they're pretty similar but turbo is a bit more power but what's your take on all of that?

And I put this on my car already so I'm not sure I'll be doing anymore exhaust stuff :P I was thinking about getting a nice tune but I figured I'd put on a few things first

Thanks man! Would you say turbo is better than a supercharger? I've heard they're pretty similar but turbo is a bit more power but what's your take on all of that?

And I put this on my car already so I'm not sure I'll be doing anymore exhaust stuff :P I was thinking about getting a nice tune but I figured I'd put on a few things first

Well turbos and superchargers both give huge gains just a difference in preference.  From what I've read turbo's are better for Daily Driving because you aren't always running boost/putting a strain on your engine like a supercharger.  It uses unused exhaust gasses to spool up which is why they are considered more efficient.  A supercharger you don't need to deal with the lag of waiting for a turbo to spool up and create boost but when you get to the really high dollar builds you can make more boost from a turbo.  Plus they make different sounds.  I like turbo blow off valves.

That exhaust is pretty sweet (loud as f*ck) but headers is where you make more power.  I dont know how much the 14's will make but I know long tube headers used to give like 15hp which is a lot in comparison to any other bolt on mod you can do.  Also a more free flowing exhaust is better for forged induction.

What you do for a living if you don't mind me asking.  Full time student orrr?  Whats your major?  I'm going for computer science rn.  

Tryna get dat 14 gt too cash.png

Edited by Tyelr

Well turbos and superchargers both give huge gains just a difference in preference.  From what I've read turbo's are better for Daily Driving because you aren't always running boost/putting a strain on your engine like a supercharger.  It uses unused exhaust gasses to spool up which is why they are considered more efficient.  A supercharger you don't need to deal with the lag of waiting for a turbo to spool up and create boost but when you get to the really high dollar builds you can make more boost from a turbo.  Plus they make different sounds.  I like turbo blow off valves.

That exhaust is pretty sweet (loud as f*ck) but headers is where you make more power.  I dont know how much the 14's will make but I know long tube headers used to give like 15hp which is a lot in comparison to any other bolt on mod you can do.  Also a more free flowing exhaust is better for forged induction.

What you do for a living if you don't mind me asking.  Full time student orrr?  Whats your major?  I'm going for computer science rn.  

Tryna get dat 14 gt too cash.png

Thanks for the information, it cleared up a lot of grey areas for me. 

Yeah, it's loud as hell I love it but I've raced a few 2015s and they've been beating me barely so I need to put some shit on lol.

I'm a computer science major but I'm also an IT where I earn a good amount of money

• Like 1

Yeah, it's loud as hell I love it but I've raced a few 2015s and they've been beating me barely so I need to put some shit on lol.

I'm a computer science major but I'm also an IT where I earn a good amount of money

The 15/16's make a little more hp at the motor but they lose some hp too because you have the live rear axle where they have IRS.  The IRS loses more power to the wheels because they gotta have more transfer points to get the power from the motor to the rear wheels.  So I'd imagine they should be about even stock for stock.  Maybe you've just been racing modded 2015s :P

Twin charge it, get the super and turbo. You'll be kicking it then. If you aren't looking to spend that much money right now just get your self a CAI and a good tune.

exchange engine to a BARRA turbo that are I6 engines putting out 440hp straight out the factory. Would eat this all day. Might be a bit expensive though as Barra is only produced in Australia but it pushes 1k HP easy with a few mods. Some are over 2500hp and a few over 3k HP.

Would you not need transmission upgrades as well?

Would you not need transmission upgrades as well?

obviously… lol

my suggestion was more tongue in cheek.

1000cc injectors

fuel pumps

E85 Fuel System <-

Ported intake manifold

cold air intakes

exhaust

If you want bang for you buck you should look into stuff like this. Not sure what the options on your mustang are but those should be your best bet 

Yeah if I was OP I would be looking for at least bigger injectors, extractors/exhaust overhaul (bigger isn't always better), Cold air intake (debatable if they are worth it though) and a re tune after all this has been put in. Should grab a 100horses? Not sure how Mustang engines react to these mods.

Edited by Foxda

obviously… lol

my suggestion was more tongue in cheek.

Yeah if I was OP I would be looking for at least bigger injectors, extractors/exhaust overhaul (bigger isn't always better), Cold air intake (debatable if they are worth it though) and a re tune after all this has been put in. Should grab a 100horses? Not sure how Mustang engines react to these mods.

Yeah just go FBO and stop there. Maybe overkill the injectors/exhaust just so he doesn't have to buy new ones when he supercharges.

Edited by Jordan