Late night thought...

thexokid

18 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• Yes
    • No
    • Who gives a fuck?

I need to preface this by saying I am not condoning infidelity(which I will define as secretly having sex with someone else besides your partner in a monogamous relationship where you both rely on each others promise to remain faithful). People have said based on my outlook and not being a jealous person I could be a swinger but when two people go into a relationship with the plan to remain exclusive for each other, boundaries need to be respected. If both parties don't mind an open relationship/swinging that's a whole different story but if you cheat and contract an STD/STI and your partner has no way of knowing that's a big fucking problem!

All that said It's hard to parse the question because you have to define what love is. It's purely subjective and emotional so love will mean different things to different people. A betrayal of trust(Ie cheating in a monogamous relationship) is generally going to be frowned upon in cultures where monogamous relationships are the norm. 

Even so I believe there are scenrarios where the act could be seen in a more favorable light. For example what if the wife is terminally ill and you two are incapable of making love anymore? Is it really fair for her to force you not to have sex with someone else to satisfy those physical needs? In that sense depending on how you define love you could still be there for her emotionally supporting her through those tough times but physically you belong to someone else.

Shit that went on longer than I expected. You raised an interesting question though that's really open to interpretation based on the individual and their cultuture heritage/character traits.

Well they don't call me for nothing ;).

Thanks for joining me at Noah's Philosophy hour

*round of applause*

• Like 1

I need to preface this by saying I am not condoning infidelity(which I will define as secretly having sex with someone else besides your partner in a monogamous relationship where you both rely on each others promise to remain faithful). People have said based on my outlook and not being a jealous person I could be a swinger but when two people go into a relationship with the plan to remain exclusive for each other, boundaries need to be respected. If both parties don't mind an open relationship/swinging that's a whole different story but if you cheat and contract an STD/STI and your partner has no way of knowing that's a big fucking problem!

All that said It's hard to parse the question because you have to define what love is. It's purely subjective and emotional so love will mean different things to different people. A betrayal of trust(Ie cheating in a monogamous relationship) is generally going to be frowned upon in cultures where monogamous relationships are the norm.

Even so I believe there are scenrarios where the act could be seen in a more favorable light. For example what if the wife is terminally ill and you two are incapable of making love anymore? Is it really fair for her to force you not to have sex with someone else to satisfy those physical needs? In that sense depending on how you define love you could still be there for her emotionally supporting her through those tough times but physically you belong to someone else.

Shit that went on longer than I expected. You raised an interesting question though that's really open to interpretation based on the individual and their cultuture heritage/character traits.

Well they don't call me for nothing wink.png.

Thanks for joining me at Noah's Philosophy hour

*round of applause*

Please close thread. Noah wins. *bows down* ;) thanks for your response <3. When you brought up the example of someones significant other being ill and not being able to make love to one another. What if your significant other does not want to have sex until you are married in 3-4 years.  

is that not the same thing?

• Like 1

Please close thread. Noah wins. *bows down* wink.png thanks for your response QwPha8E.png. When you brought up the example of someones significant other being ill and not being able to make love to one another. What if your significant other does not want to have sex until you are married in 3-4 years.  

is that not the same thing?

That's a slightly different scenario. In the scenario you give, she's physically capable but not willing. As a pre-requite to be in a relationship, you agree to respect her preference but if your two preferences can't agree with each other, then there simply is an imbalance in the relationship which neither of you benefits from.

At least in the terminally ill scenario she may want to but is incapable(exact opposite of your example). You two come to the conclusion sex with each other is no longer possible but at least then you have an excuse to satisfy your needs with someone else. What makes it even more acceptable is that there's no real physical risk to her if you get an STD/STI. If she is upset that's rather selfish of her to keep you for herself when she can't provide for you physically yet you're there taking care of her.

At the end of the day emotions, especially that of love will always be subjective and different things will mean different things to different people. I am trying to look at things through an objective matter not from the perspective of the husband/boyfriend but as a third party onlooker.

I hope that makes even more sense.