Script vs Bot

Deceiver

Hi, this is aimed for a decent debate on using "script" and "bot". I just copied this from someone else. But I think I agree with the points presented.

Sometimes I like to call bots scripts bots, because I heard someone else do it and never doubted them. But then a moderately intelligent fellow opened my eyes. He explained how the word script by definition excludes anything that is compiled instead of interpreted at runtime. I then went to Wikipedia, the world's wisest wizard, and here's what he had to say.

A scripting language or script bot language is a programming language that supports scripts bots, programs written for a special run-time environment that can interpret (rather than compile) and automate the execution of tasks that could alternatively be executed one-by-one by a human operator.

From the little Java I've done in my short programming career, I know for a fact that Java is compiled (to an intermediate language at least) and therefore calling anything written in Java a script bot would be a horrible misnomer.

The moderately intelligent fellow also explained how from a linguistic point of view "script bot" is highly ambiguous and could refer to many things: handwriting, a manuscript, a document, etc. As one aspiring to be a successful communicator and appeal to end users I realized the use of ambiguous words just makes my life harder.

I resolve all these issues by replacing "script bot" from my vocabulary with "bot." Not only is bot not constrained to being interpreted at runtime, but now the end user knows exactly what my product does: it bots!

What do you think?

• Like 1

It depends on how you define "script".

If you're referring to a script in the context of programming, then you are definitely not "scripting" while using Java, since it is not a scripting language. Java programs are not scripts, since they are compiled.

However, in the context of artificial intelligence, they are most definitely scripts.

Edited by fixthissite

If you're referring to a script in the context of programming, then you are definitely not "scripting" while using Java, since it is not a scripting language. Java programs are not scripts, since they are compiled.

However, in the context of artificial intelligence, they are most definitely scripts.

FBvRYVv.png

• Like 1

FBvRYVv.png

He makes a good point, but now we're going in circles.

If he would accept "intelligent agent", but refuses it due to irrelevance in modern times, looks like we're back to bot (virtual artificial agent). Honestly, I feel there's more important things to focus on. This is just going to snowball into even stupider question such as "so do we stop calling developers scripters?".

Finding out whether or not this classifies as "scripting" will not help in preventing detection or improve the capability of bots, which is a way more important subject. I agree that the AI definition for scripting does not qualify after his more extensive research, but I gotta admit, I hardly did any research at all. This really doesn't seem like a subject that'll get anyone anywhere.

Arbiter, you sound like a smart guy, appreciate the information, but please put time into things that are more beneficial :/ There's criteria in the botting community that can be taken to the next level, please put your brain power towards those areas (such as statistically guided anti-bans)

Edited by fixthissite

He makes a good point, but now we're going in circles.

If he would accept "intelligent agent", but refuses it due to irrelevance in modern times, looks like we're back to bot (virtual artificial agent). Honestly, I feel there's more important things to focus on. This is just going to snowball into even stupider question such as "so do we stop calling developers scripters?".

Finding out whether or not this classifies as "scripting" will not help in preventing detection or improve the capability of bots, which is a way more important subject. I agree that the AI definition for scripting does not qualify after his more extensive research, but I gotta admit, I hardly did any research at all. This really doesn't seem like a subject that'll get anyone anywhere.

Arbiter, you sound like a smart guy, appreciate the information, but please put time into things that are more beneficial :/ There's criteria in the botting community that can be taken to the next level, please put your brain power towards those areas (such as statistically guided anti-bans)

Arbiter has called them bots and bot writers since the start of his project a few years ago. No worries, his time went into great stuff. ;)

Whether OSBot calls their people bot writers or scripters really doesn't matter. In the end it's true that it doesn't directly improve the capability of a bot, however naming things correctly can bring more user-friendliness and cause less confusion. It took me a while to get used to the term "bot" instead of "script" personally, but in the end it does make sense to me.

Arbiter has called them bots and bot writers since the start of his project a few years ago. No worries, his time went into great stuff. ;)

Whether OSBot calls their people bot writers or scripters really doesn't matter. In the end it's true that it doesn't directly improve the capability of a bot, however naming things correctly can bring more user-friendliness and cause less confusion. It took me a while to get used to the term "bot" instead of "script" personally, but in the end it does make sense to me.

I totally understand, terms can get pretty ambiguous while programming (such as instance and object) so it's important to correctly define them.

I just feel the naming situation in this case is of low priority compared to subjects in the botting community, and attempting to change the term would do nothing more than force verbosity (scripter and scripting are less verbose than bot writer (developer would be a more proper term) and "writing a script"). If you want to get real technical, using Java is an option.

"Bot developers" write code to interact with the client in some way. The client itself doesn't even need to be Java (albiet no one wants to recreate an RS client in a scripting language, although it has technically been done) let alone the scripts. We choose to use a compiled language for scripts. If we were to switch to a scripting language, would we revert back to the "scripting" term? Doesn't seem worth it.. Although the technical term may be "bot", and I totally agree that the root term should be bot (hell, lets bring "Intelligent Agent" back, sounds cooler), I think it's fair to accept "script" as an alias, for the sake of simplicity.