Botwatch Philosophy

Zynq

It's past 3am, the time when the natural world is mostly dark and silent, though my computer hums dully under my desk. There is a moment where one might think about how Botwatch is no more than an automated process, and yet it makes powerful decisions each day, stripping account owners of their virtual possessions, calmly and surely. The sheer gravity of the loss of a Runescape account is great enough for Jagex to stay on the side of nothing less than absolute certainty in their banning process. Indeed, false bans are a thing of the past, and the appeal process has been mitigated down to nothing, but Jagex has shown that they have reason to be confident.

To put the current situation into an analogy, it is reasonable to assume that Botwatch will issue a ban to an account that is so guaranteed to be botting that it's as if a JMod is watching that account directly in person as the macro runs. I truly believe that Botwatch is a system that simulates a JMod watching each and every account in the game. Don't look out your window, because a JMod may just be standing out there; he may not know that you're botting, but sooner or later, he will enter the house, all senses ready to detect.

How could this be? It is actually logically sound. If Jagex does not false ban, then they have 100% confidence in their system and will only ban accounts that are guaranteed to be botting. To put that into perspective with a term I'd call "suspection level", for lack of a better one, I have no doubt in my mind that many botters here who think that they've gone pretty much undetected are... far from correct. In the mind of a JMod, or should I say, the detective, 

"When I look at this account here, there is really no doubt in my mind that this person has been botting. However, due to the nature of a Runescape account, we really cannot risk a mistake. We need just a bit more proof to be beyond reasonable doubt."

Actually, it all reminds me of the immune system. Some botters rightfully claim that a moderate ban will increase chances of a permanant ban, but I will take that a step further. Botwatch must be an adaptive system. Moderate bans represent the initial reaction to an unknown threat; moderate bans represent the mindset of the JMod whose mind contents I revealed earlier. The JMod is probably 99% sure of botting, and they can afford that 1% leniency. However, it does not end with the two day ban, for every last detail of that botter is added to the system, preparing for further, more violent reactions in the future.

Botwatch can recognize its own weaknesses and repair them. Botters that could freely macro in certain areas or under certain conditions are targeted easily the next time around. That is to say that JMods that ban in person are simply trying to cover for Botwatch's temporary weaknesses, then Botwatch is updated yet again. This is not the only problematic feature of Botwatch.

I like to think of the human mind when I think of the sheer efficiency of Botwatch. Human reaction time is vastly improved during tasks with repetition. Just like the nightmare inducing artificial intelligence that we see in movies, Botwatch is able to recognize bots based on past data and easily do away with them. 

Bots are a disease that threaten to infect the game of Runescape, while Botwatch is the immune system. In order to survive, bots must evolve further. This is natural selection on a virtual level, and I truly enjoy watching the strongest, luckiest, and most opportune bots survive while the others perish. There is but one shining light in the dark days of botting, however.

Jagex has to play by the rules. To ban anyone on Runescape, Jagex needs 100% certainty or it will not happen, period. There is some sort of small consolation that if you can stay at a 99% suspection level or below, you can make it. At the same time, when you toe the line, one mistake can be fatal. 

"Bots are a disease that threaten to infect the game of Runescape, while Botwatch is the immune system. In order to survive, bots must evolve further. This is natural selection on a virtual level, and I truly enjoy watching the strongest, luckiest, and most opportune bots survive while the others perish."

Good analogy. 

WARNING: Unsupported theories with no evidence other than my own personal experience ahead:

- Botwatch only bans f2p accounts. 100% of p2p bans are manual.

- Botwatch analyzes all accounts currently playing the game. Obviously this would cost a lot of money to do, so it works like a radar system, allocating the more CPU-intensive analysis to more suspicious accounts. The more botwatch is able to correctly "guess" your next action, the more suspicious your account becomes. At a certain suspicion level, botwatch starts recording your gameplay (and measuring timings between actions, reaction times, mouse movements, etc) and then it gets flagged for review by a JMod. JMods can review this data at any time, so it doesn't matter if you're online or not, your data has been added to the queue for review and you will be dealt with.

I mean, how many p2p accounts do you think actually get banned a day? A couple hundred? This is feasible for 2 people to accomplish easily.

Believe me... I made 3 accounts so far in 3 weeks.. Some ironman some normall... I botted 2 hours a day and played 4-5 hours a day. The scripts were premium and I used Woodcutting + fishing + agility... Both 3 accounts got permed. All 3 were also member...

i made a f2p account about 3 weeks ago and botten non stop at west lumby cows. the only time i would stop botting is when the account would automatically get logged out at 6hrs i believe (notification popped up for it) 7 days a week 24 hrs a week. i have 50 atk and 79 str 1 def haha. i dunno why tho because usually my accounts get banned guess this is my lucky month tongue.png