Increase Internet Signal Range

Tracme

It's not possible to increase your wireless signal range with software, that's all dependent on the Hardware. It's like saying can you increase RAM by downloading more RAM from this site.

Impossible happy.png

Yeah and next your going to say its not possible to charge your iphone with your microwave ethier..

There is a hardware limitation to the signal range, but if your current router's firmware is putting a lower restriction on the range then yeah, it is possible to unlock your hardware's potential by switching to the dd-wrt firmware. Although you should make sure your router is fully supported by dd-wrt first.

If you don't want to risk bricking your router with dd-wrt, you can buy signal range extenders, which basically just rebroadcast your signal.

My Router is in the first floor, and i live in the third floor, do you guys would recommend me getting wi-fi USB antenna or wi-fi repeater? and which one would you recommend?

Get the repeater/extender and put it on the second floor.

Also take a look at powerline ethernet They essentially use your power lines as a way to transmit the data through your house.

• Like 1

There is a hardware limitation to the signal range, but if your current router's firmware is putting a lower restriction on the range then yeah, it is possible to unlock your hardware's potential by switching to the dd-wrt firmware. Although you should make sure your router is fully supported by dd-wrt first.

If you don't want to risk bricking your router with dd-wrt, you can buy signal range extenders, which basically just rebroadcast your signal.

Get the repeater/extender and put it on the second floor.

Also take a look at powerline ethernet They essentially use your power lines as a way to transmit the data through your house.

which repeater/extender would you recommend for like 30-40$ because i have no clue with stuff like that 

Edited by Tracme

My Router is in the first floor, and i live in the third floor, do you guys would recommend me getting wi-fi USB antenna or wi-fi repeater which i would put in the second floor? and which one would you recommend?

I don't understand it either, but the internet service guy was at my house yesterday fixing my internet Wow! because the laptops would have issues with Wifi, and it's funny you mention wifi repeater. He did say wifi repeater is good to use for wireless, and it's obviously good to put closer to whatever signal you're trying to make strong. So..I'd say..try second or third floor..

i dont really understand how that powerline networking works anyone explain?

When you buy a powerline networking set, it comes with 2 adapters. One of them you connect by ethernet wire to your router. Then you plug it into the power socket on the wall. The network data is then sent over the power wires in your house/apartment (by some analog signal that I don't really understand either).

In your room, you'd plug in the other adapter to the wall socket, which will monitor the signal over the power lines and convert it back to the network data. You'd then connect your laptop to the second adapter using a ethernet wire.

It's basically like running an ethernet wire all the way from the first floor to your room, except instead of using ethernet, it uses your power lines.

If you're looking to keep your computer on wireless, you should get a repeater though

As for which you should get, read the reviews! tongue.png

My Router is in the first floor, and i live in the third floor, do you guys would recommend me getting wi-fi USB antenna or wi-fi repeater which i would put in the second floor? and which one would you recommend?

This. Powerline adapters ftw

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-Powerline_stcVVcatId554690VVviewcat.htm