Learning over Education

Swizzbeat

I recently saw a TED talks that really captured my attention and put my feelings towards things I couldn't describe into words for the first time. I highly recommend everyone go watch this, it's not long, and is brings a new insight into what's currently going on around us.

http://www.ted.com/talks/joi_ito_want_to_innovate_become_a_now_ist

You can also watch a 62 minute interview held at MIT for him here.

• Like 3

Good video. It's true, what you go out and learn on your own, with a curious mind is always more impotant than schooling or uniform education. That being said, Education is STILL very important, because in real life a degree will help you with your LIFE-goals and prepare you for a job in your industry. 

Edited by Deffiliate
  • Like 2

Good video. It's true, what you go out and learn on your own, with a curious mind is always more impotant than schooling or uniform education. That being said, Education is STILL very important, because in real life a degree will help you with your LIFE-goals and prepare you for a job in your industry. 

Exactly.

I think it's important for people to realize that despite the whole new found idea of "education sucks" and "you learn nothing in school" you won't get far if you don't have the aptitude to go out and grab life by the balls.

• Like 2

I feel the exact same way; take me, for example, I have had a pretty challenging life, up until now; that contributed to give me good life experience for someone my age. While I don't really like school, I still push myself to do really well so that one day I can have a great job and have the funds to pursue my goals and desires. I mean yeah I have a 3.91 GPA and am a senior in college in only two years instead of three as well as many after school activities and two leadership roles but id be lying if I said  I wasn't looking forward to starting and ultimately graduating from law school, so I can get an awesome job as a lawyer and actually live life instead of studying all the time.

I still would want to learn at that point obviously but in enjoyable ways like reading a neat story or learning a new language or how to cook a new type of cuisine which is nothing like the systemized style of learning that school provides which takes all the joy/passion out of learning. Traveling is also something id love to do but while that falls under the continuum of learning it still requires plenty of money, which is gotten through education more often then not. In a way, all these parts of life interact with each other, and at some point all these parts meet up forming the complex relationship known as life and the human experience.

Balance is key I suppose is the take away from all of this.

• Like 1

\ you won't get far if you don't have the aptitude to go out and grab life by the balls.

Hell ya man man life is an experience, The most successful ppl are the ones that enjoy what they do and do what they enjoy GOOD.

Balance is key I suppose is the take away from all of this.

Balance is indeed imporatant.

Thats is why when coding I also try to do other stuff, otherwise my brain gets stuck doo deep i nthe matric xDD, but going outside (fishing, canoing, etc.) is a good compliment to coding inside.

Edited by Deffiliate

Hell ya man man life is an experience, The most successful ppl are the ones that enjoy what they do and do what they enjoy GOOD.

Richard Branson is a prime example of this

That guy is wildly successful both economically and in life he seems to have a good personal life and all.

He does some crazy stuff too for the experience in life like one time I heard he drank tea while sitting on top of a ballon in a hot air balloon(not the basket the actual balloon). That was nuts, might not have actually happened but it's something I heard and it wouldn't even surprise me since he's really eccentric like that it just sounds like something cool he'd do.

I swear he and I must be related even if it's distantly where just so similar even if it's on a 1/10,000 scale it's still kind of funny to joke about smile.png.