Back from Liberia!

SKlipz

Havn't posted in a while because I was in the shittiest country on earth.

Trip report anyone? ;)

--Trip Report--

Intoxicant - Liberia

Trip time - 2 weeks

Well, I've never been anywhere worse. I spent two weeks at a hospital dealing with a population that makes under 5$ a month.

AID's is an epidemic 

Ebola is everywhere

They use the beach as a toilet.

Half of the cities are in ruins from the civil war

The whole country is a F***ed mess

I'm waiting for the film to be developed so pic's should be posted either tonight or early tomorrow.

Why'd you go? 

I volunteered for the WHO to head a hospital development program in Robertsport.

Did you die?

I was mugged 3 times the first day I was there and after that the hospital hired a local group of ex-combatants for our security.

The poverty there is unreal... I've been everywhere in the world including sierra-leone in the late 90's and nothing was as bad as this place.

The hospital that was being developed was more like a warehouse than a hospital. I had to instruct the new WHO volunteers on how to setup a proper bio-hazard isolation block. Once everything was setup no one came until I visited the locals in their environment.

I did make a friend there his name was Joseph and he took me through the day to day lives of the locals. He told me about the drug epidimec there and I didn't know anything about it when I got there. So I ended up visiting the local drug dens and offering to give people sterile kits ( Sterile Kit - Sterile Needles, Syringes, Alcohol Pads) to decrease the transmission of things like AID's and Hep C. 

After I gave one of the local den owners sterile kits for his buyers he thanked me for trying to help is people and offered me a couple grams of Swazi-Gold as a sign of good faith. I sat down rolled a couple joints and passed them around, sure enough the locals ended up respecting me and I didn't have any trouble for the rest of the trip.

Did you die?

On the inside after I ate a local meal one of the patients brought me. The food was good, the parasites in food in Liberia are not.