A little behind the scenes at OSBot (May 19'th)

Maxi

• Developer

Hi everyone,

As I was studying this morning for a test I have on Tuesday, I figured I should write you all a little behind the scenes story of what is going on behind everything you see on the forums and in the bot. As you know, we try to stay as transparant as possible to you all!

After we released v.1.5.x containing randoms, we sat together to map out the next few weeks and what we plan to get done and release. Besides fixing existant randoms and adding missing randoms, we are prioritizing the SDN whilst maintaining other little bug fixes and extensions to the API to make our work a little varied. Tonight I ran a hunter bot, written by Xerion, which is planned to be released on the SDN as a premium script, for over 8 hours without getting stuck. This proves randoms have made giant progress a long the lines since their release. We have a new batch of fixes ready for the next release when it comes to randoms.

But other than the SDN, we aim to keep excelling OSBot to that point of perfection we aimed for the day we started development. When we started developing OSBot we aimed for a working prototype to start with, one with some design in mind for the core which runs everything, but for the API we didn't make a design plan and we just went a long with what we needed and added it somewhere seemingly appropriate. This was fine for the BETA, however as with all software development, design is very important for extension and usage, especially if it involves hundreds of users who want to use the API to script. So looking at our current API, we realized it's organized poorly. When building on a poorly structured API, it will of course end up in getting structured more poorly and poorly, so you got to tackle this early on. With everything running a lot smoother than a month ago, we believe it's time to do this now.

With the SDN getting ready to release, randoms getting more towards 100% with every day, we thought it's getting time to step out of BETA and come up with the official release of OSBot 2 soon. For this, we will be restructuring the entire API. The API will be structured in a way it will feel as if it's a static API however it won't be. You will be programming with it as if it is, but it's not. We will do this transformation, and release a version so everyone can update their scripts before we finally officially release it and abandon support for any versions earlier than 2.x.x. We think, and it will, that this will create a much user friendly scripting environment for everyone. You will find the same methods and the same feel whilst executing your scripts, however the API will be much more intuitive and user friendly.

Another thing we will be doing is getting some of the hooks some of the script developers have been asking for. This are maybe like 5 or 6 hooks, but they are getting higher on our priority list as we have to keep our script developers happy smile.png.

But that's not everything. We feel that the release of OSBot 2 needs something special. We are not sure if we can manage it in time, but for some time early in the release stages of OSBot 2 we plan on releasing a web walker. The one and only Brainfree, his name might suggest he has no brains but he does!, has been developing a web walker for the past few weeks. With our help, we will give him most of the data of the entire world map, to make his web walker walk across the entire map without any problems and little manual work. Teleporting? Fairy rings? Portals? Just walking? Doors, ladders, gates? It's all planned for to be working. This will definitely be one of OSBot's most useful features, and will allow to write bots beyond believe. Slayer you said? No problem. Farming you said? No problem. Died somewhere and you need your script to go back? No problem.

So for now, we are still focusing on the SDN and the randoms. But once we get closer to finish both, we will start the restructuring of the API and get ready for OSBot 2. In the meanwhile, we will get everything ready to provide Brainfree's web walker with all the necessary data to traverse the entire world map. So what do you think of that? It makes me excited to see OSBot grow everyday, and with these updates in the near future, I'm wondering where we will be in another month's time. I want to shout out thanks to everyone who has been caring and supporting OSBot till today, and to everyone who will continue doing so in the future.

Spread the word to your friends, we will be here for them!

Sincerely,

OSBot.org

Onp4qqA.png

• Like 4

I must say that since I've been here, (Only a week or so) OSBot has made massive improvements to their bot, community, and thier scripts. You guys have been taking giant steps forward and I congratulate on doing such a great job managing time, the bot, and the community to perfect an awesome outcome, I couldn't ask for a better community and staff, thank you so much OSBot Team<3

I've gotten confident enough to run my bots on my VPS now :o

At first I got my first 1 hr proggy then 3 hours. Last night I got my first OVER NIGHT 8 hour proggy. Only thing that stopped it was character got stuck walking somewhere lol.

Everyday more progress is made and it shows not just in the features but in how easy it is to run the bot and manage it.