Where to start?

Hey all,

I'm just wondering where someone would start with learning to write scripts. 

-Whats a good application to write with that's free?

-What should my first script be to help me learn? Cooks Assistant quest maybe? Just walking to a designated location?

-What is an online resource I could refer to when I'm stuck on something besides just straight google?

-I know very little about programming except that there are different languages. Which would you recommend I start with for OS Scripts?

If you do reply I appreciate it. Looking to learn but don't want to be too much of a burden with my questions thank you!

Eclipse for software, and you need a basic understanding of Java (not javascript) to script. I recommend looking up simple java tutorials to learn and familiarize yourself with object oriented programming before jumping into scripting. @Chris has a discord that is useful to get started with scripting as well. OSBot has an API you can refer to when you start scripting for resources and if you get stuck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thank you Chris.

8 minutes ago, Mio said:

Eclipse for software, and you need a basic understanding of Java (not javascript) to script. I recommend looking up simple java tutorials to learn and familiarize yourself with object oriented programming before jumping into scripting. @Chris has a discord that is useful to get started with scripting as well. OSBot has an API you can refer to when you start scripting for resources and if you get stuck.

Thank you Mio.

First it would be best to focus on learning java. If try to learn java by scripting there's a huge chance you will learn some horrible coding habits it may be very boring at the beginning but learning coding by actively studying how to improve and write clean code will help you so much in the future and writing your first few scripts will be so much less confusing since  you'd have a good understanding already on how everything works / should be used i wish you the best of luck :)