Security+

Bourbon

Yes I have multiple certs including the Sec+.  If you have already gotten your Net+ then Sec+ will be a breeze.  Sec+ felt like Net+ with the inclusion of simple security or common sense questions (whats a mantrap, whats piggybacking, difference between virus and worm).  I have taken the Sec+ multiple times (every 3 years) to keep it and my other COMPTIA certs renewed.

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend watching all of the Professor Messer Security+ Videos on youtube, they are free and hands down the best COMPTIA training videos I ever watched.

If you want a reasonable book with good study guide questions I would recommend the ExamCram books.  They are organised and dont have any filler, and the questions at the end of each chapter are similar to the actual test.

If you just want to cheese the test then you can also download the "A+ VCE Silver" app for android, not sure if they have it for apple.  Then you can go to the examcollection website: https://www.examcollection.com/SY0-501.html and download a couple of VCE files.  Im not going to lie, I use that for renewing my certs as I feel renewing is a waste of time and a money grab.  Make sure you get a VCE file that explains the answers also, it makes it way easier to quickly learn/refresh yourself.  Last time I did the Sec+ the VCE file I used was not word for word on the actual exam, but it explained each answer and I made sure I could answer the bank of like 300 questions and get 100% right, using just the 1 vce file to refresh I got almost full points on the actual exam.  The A+ app also lets you set it so you can just keep retesting on questions you missed until you are getting them right.

In summary.  If its your first time I would recommend watching the Professor Messer videos and/or read the Exam Cram.  And if you want a feel for what the test questions are really like get the A+ VCE app or another VCE player and a vce file from exam cram and you should be able to pass it no problem.  

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.  I have multiple microsoft, cisco, and other comptia certs.

51 minutes ago, Botthestrange said:

Yes I have multiple certs including the Sec+.  If you have already gotten your Net+ then Sec+ will be a breeze.  Sec+ felt like Net+ with the inclusion of simple security or common sense questions (whats a mantrap, whats piggybacking, difference between virus and worm).  I have taken the Sec+ multiple times (every 3 years) to keep it and my other COMPTIA certs renewed.

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend watching all of the Professor Messer Security+ Videos on youtube, they are free and hands down the best COMPTIA training videos I ever watched.

If you want a reasonable book with good study guide questions I would recommend the ExamCram books.  They are organised and dont have any filler, and the questions at the end of each chapter are similar to the actual test.

If you just want to cheese the test then you can also download the "A+ VCE Silver" app for android, not sure if they have it for apple.  Then you can go to the examcollection website: https://www.examcollection.com/SY0-501.html and download a couple of VCE files.  Im not going to lie, I use that for renewing my certs as I feel renewing is a waste of time and a money grab.  Make sure you get a VCE file that explains the answers also, it makes it way easier to quickly learn/refresh yourself.  Last time I did the Sec+ the VCE file I used was not word for word on the actual exam, but it explained each answer and I made sure I could answer the bank of like 300 questions and get 100% right, using just the 1 vce file to refresh I got almost full points on the actual exam.  The A+ app also lets you set it so you can just keep retesting on questions you missed until you are getting them right.

In summary.  If its your first time I would recommend watching the Professor Messer videos and/or read the Exam Cram.  And if you want a feel for what the test questions are really like get the A+ VCE app or another VCE player and a vce file from exam cram and you should be able to pass it no problem.  

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.  I have multiple microsoft, cisco, and other comptia certs.

Great information man. I just recently finished my bachelors degree in Comp Networks + Cyber Security, yet every recruiter I have spoken to has told me to get Sec+. I'll still check out Professor Messer and online practice tests I found, I think they've got pretty good info. I need to keep it free as possible since I am unemployed and just waiting to hear back from other prospects. My question was moreso asking about practice tests and what not so I can famliarize myself with the question style. 

I'll have to check out your recommendations. After Sec+, I don't know what certs to get as I know you can go certain pathways depending on what type of role you want. I'm not sure of the different roles there are out there. 

I got my BA in Security also.  With it I got my Sec+ and Cisco CCNA Security certs.  But I dont work in security at all lol.  I love the work but not the shifts/on-call so I switched paths.

As far as costs go I think the VCE app was like a buck but I bought it years ago, im sure you can find other free VCE readers out there.  And I never purchased a premium vce file always went with the free ones.  So other then the app cost if you do that and watch the videos its all free.  And if you really wanted torrenting the  the examcram cert book is an option but I think its like a $30 book.

Do you already have your Net+?  IMO Net+ was more recognized/sought after than security unless it was a security specific role.

I'm going more so for the Cyber Security/Threat Analyst role currently, and no I have not obtained any certs just a cyber-heavy courseload in the last year or so of classes since I took all other electives/required courses beforehand and then backloaded the technical courses for my sr year. 

Also, are there any websites that provide lab-practice with open source cyber sec tools? I have looked everywhere but can't find any.

Edited by Bourbon

Also starting out in IT IMO one of the best places to work would be an MPS (multiple service provider, they are usually locally owned and support multiple local businesses).  They are easy to move up in and typically have you supporting everything so you get to learn a little of everything and see what you really like then you can specialize from there.  After you find out what you like find a corporate or government job.  They pay a ton and you will work a lot less then at the MSP lol.

Edited by Botthestrange

10 minutes ago, Bourbon said:

I'm going more so for the Cyber Security/Threat Analyst role currently, and no I have not obtained any certs just a cyber-heavy courseload in the last year or so of classes since I took all other electives/required courses beforehand and then backloaded the technical courses for my sr year. 

Also, are there any websites that provide lab-practice with open source cyber sec tools? I have looked everywhere but can't find any.

I have not done any cyber sec stuff in years.  Honestly my first job was just running pentest reports with in house software and changing firewall rules nothing super exciting.  Realistically in the US you are going to want to get any IT job to start getting work experience on the resume then move up from there.  Unless you know people its very difficult to just jump into a specialty job thats not hiring underpayed overworked people.

You could always look up things to do with wireshark and kali linux, there use to be sites with labs for those and they are highly used and open sourced.  Wireshark is good to know the basics of anyway as I find myself using it even in my current server related job.

Also if you have no other certs the Security+ is one of the hardest COMPTIA certs I have taken (even though comptia are easier then all others imo) it is a rough one to jump into, but I think it could still be done if you just study enough.