Running PC 24/7 & case fans going bad?

AsBakedAsCake

For those of you who run your PC 24/7 for botting, how often do you have to replace your case fans, if ever? I bought my PC about 2 years ago for OSRS botting. It's basically been on almost 24/7, CPU sits at about 65%-70% for the most part.

Now the main problem I'm having is that my case fans keep going bad, I have 3 of them & I had to replace every single one within 6 months of owning my computer. Usually I can tell when a fan is about to go because it starts lightly rattling for about a month or so, then it turns into a loud grinding noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAqT0VgAUw

That's a video from 6 months of use on PC, since replacing back in april of 2017 I'm starting to have the same problem again (no grinding yet, but one of the "new" fans are starting to click/rattle so I know it's coming..)

Is this a common problem? Is 60%-70% CPU 24/7 too much? I really don't feel like I'm that hard on this computer. Any thoughts appreciated. I don't really mind replacing fans as they're pretty cheap, I'm just more worried about there possibly being a different underlying issue.

Thanks for any replies!

26 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

For those of you who run your PC 24/7 for botting, how often do you have to replace your case fans, if ever? I bought my PC about 2 years ago for OSRS botting. It's basically been on almost 24/7, CPU sits at about 65%-70% for the most part.

Now the main problem I'm having is that my case fans keep going bad, I have 3 of them & I had to replace every single one within 6 months of owning my computer. Usually I can tell when a fan is about to go because it starts lightly rattling for about a month or so, then it turns into a loud grinding noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAqT0VgAUw

That's a video from 6 months of use on PC, since replacing back in april of 2017 I'm starting to have the same problem again (no grinding yet, but one of the "new" fans are starting to click/rattle so I know it's coming..)

Is this a common problem? Is 60%-70% CPU 24/7 too much? I really don't feel like I'm that hard on this computer. Any thoughts appreciated. I don't really mind replacing fans as they're pretty cheap, I'm just more worried about there possibly being a different underlying issue.

Thanks for any replies!

umm i never had a problem tbh i had my computer for 5 years and have like 80-85 cpu uses tbh might want to clean your computer or not get shitty fans lol liquid cooler is always a alternative

35 minutes ago, Hanul said:

umm i never had a problem tbh i had my computer for 5 years and have like 80-85 cpu uses tbh might want to clean your computer or not get shitty fans lol liquid cooler is always a alternative

21 minutes ago, RDM said:

You only really need 1 case fan and a decent cpu cooler. Ive never had a fan die on either my AMD a10 or Ryzen 1300x PC's that were both used exclusively for botting

Thanks for the replies. All the new fans I have are Thermaltake brand. I was told this was a good brand but I guess not, the original fans that had to be replaced were Corsair. I guess I'll just try a new brand, again.. :/

Also, computer is completely dust free - I keep it clean and looking brand new.

If anyone thinks there is actually a problem causing my fans to fail besides bad luck/bad brands, let me know. I really didn't think I was putting that much wear & tear on my PC only running 60-70% CPU so I still believe there may be a different problem

Edited by AsBakedAsCake

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

i run a few computers 24/7 on 100% load - one fan has died,  what kinda fans you go? but i do have the dodgy sounding noise coming out of the fan, but that's nothing to worry about

Currently all Thermaltake fans are installed, The noise I'm having currently is NOTHING like in the video I posted, it's just small little random clicks for now. I can really only hear it because my computer is on this desk right next to my monitor. I'll probably just stop worrying about it for now.

Say something does happen while I'm out or sleeping and the fan completely dies - will it harm my PC at all? Also, do you have a brand to recommend for new case fans when the time comes?

18 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

Currently all Thermaltake fans are installed, The noise I'm having currently is NOTHING like in the video I posted, it's just small little random clicks for now. I can really only hear it because my computer is on this desk right next to my monitor. I'll probably just stop worrying about it for now.

Say something does happen while I'm out or sleeping and the fan completely dies - will it harm my PC at all? Also, do you have a brand to recommend for new case fans when the time comes?

no, check on temps but the likelihood of them all dying at the same time.. is low.. and even if that happened - the pc would throttle and turn off with the heat (wouldnt die)

20 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

If you're going to splurge on one fan, Noctua is top tier. Thermaltake and Corsair are good brands as well, not sure why they'd die though. I currently have 3 Thermaltake Riing fans in my personal rig i run them hard with no issues, I'll be switching to Noctua soon though since they are the best of the best.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RDM said:

If you're going to splurge on one fan, Noctua is top tier. Thermaltake and Corsair are good brands as well, not sure why they'd die though. I currently have 3 Thermaltake Riing fans in my personal rig i run them hard with no issues, I'll be switching to Noctua soon though since they are the best of the best.

Ah, I have the same fans for now. I'm going to look into Noctua, highly appreciate the suggestion!

37 minutes ago, IDontEB said:

You should look into why those fans broke since both those other brands are decent quality and should not break even after a good 5 years.

I mean that was pretty much why I made this post, it's unfortunate that no one could exactly help me out with that. When the original fans started to go, I got one replaced and then a month or so later another one started to go so I got it replaced also, within another month I lost my 3rd fan and had to replace it.

I don't really know what the cause was. If you have any guess, let me know. I have absolutely no idea how they would all die within months of each other, and of course now I'm having more problems. Also I'm having no luck with google or youtube :/

Edited by AsBakedAsCake

1 hour ago, Juggles said:

What is the room like that it is?

any exposure to moisture? 

Badly ventilated room?

Anyone smoking near it? Heard second hand fan smoke is bad 

I would say the room isn't that well ventilated so that may be something, although the computer has not been exposed to moisture or smoke. The room does get fairly hot as it's pretty small, I'd say the whole summer my computer room has been about 80 degrees, sometimes up to 85.

I assumed most people's computer room/office is usually pretty warm, maybe 80-85 degrees is just too hot. It's been a super hot summer, although upon checking the temperature of my CPU and what not it seems everything is hanging around 50 degrees Celsius - is this considered normal temps?

23 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

I would say the room isn't that well ventilated so that may be something, although the computer has not been exposed to moisture or smoke. The room does get fairly hot as it's pretty small, I'd say the whole summer my computer room has been about 80 degrees, sometimes up to 85.

I assumed most people's computer room/office is usually pretty warm, maybe 80-85 degrees is just too hot. It's been a super hot summer, although upon checking the temperature of my CPU and what not it seems everything is hanging around 50 degrees Celsius - is this considered normal temps?

50 degrees celsius is perfectly fine for a CPU, danger zone is somwhere around high 80s/90+, but it will shut itself down if it overheats so you'd notice. Fans definitely shouldn't die that fast tho, maybe you just got unlucky?

Edited by Rudie

6 minutes ago, Rudie said:

50 degrees celsius is perfectly fine for a CPU, danger zone is somwhere around high 80s/90+, but it will shut itself down if it overheats so you'd notice. Fans definitely shouldn't die that fast tho, maybe you just got unlucky?

Well now at least I know the temp is alright, thanks for that. It's possible I just got unlucky, maybe I'm just overthinking this little click-like noise. I can tell exactly which fan it's coming from, but I guess it's not that big of a deal yet.

I'll just keep a close eye on things for now, I appreciate the reply.