Java query regarding filters

scriptersteve

Hi, so in one of my previous scripts people mentioned I should try and use filters more:

The commented out code is what i was trying to do but was refusing to 'loot' the arrows.

The non-commented code works fine and i wondered if anyone new why the commented code didn't work?

// Filter<Item> arrows = item -> item.getName().contains("arrows");
 //GroundItem arrows1 = getGroundItems().closest(arrows.toString());
 GroundItem arrows1 = getGroundItems().closest("Bronze arrow","Iron arrow","Steel arrow","Mithril arrow","Adamant arrow");

Below is current version of my *arrows1*

GroundItem arrows1 = getGroundItems().closest(gi -> gi != null && getMap().canReach(gi) && gi.getName().contains("arrow"));

This one does work but is not using a filter (although it is kinda filtering by the contains name) but i wondered what would cause the toString() to not work as i wanted.

is arrows toString basically just writing down arrows. I though it should be writing down the whole Bronze arrow for example

31 minutes ago, scriptersteve said:

Hi, so in one of my previous scripts people mentioned I should try and use filters more:

The commented out code is what i was trying to do but was refusing to 'loot' the arrows.

The non-commented code works fine and i wondered if anyone new why the commented code didn't work?

GroundItem arrows1 = getGroundItems().closest("Bronze arrow","Iron arrow","Steel arrow","Mithril arrow","Adamant arrow");

GroundItem arrows1 = getGroundItems().closest(gi -> gi != null && getMap().canReach(gi) && gi.getName().contains("arrow"));

This one does work but is not using a filter (although it is kinda filtering by the contains name) but i wondered what would cause the toString() to not work as i wanted.

is arrows toString basically just writing down arrows. I though it should be writing down the whole Bronze arrow for example

Don't call toString()

closest() can take a Filter as a parameter.

Edited by Explv

38 minutes ago, scriptersteve said:

If I'm not mistaken your current version of *arrows1* , is actually a filter. You're simply using some syntactical sugar to do it inline!

For reference below is what is really happening behind the scenes

GroundItem arrow = GroundItems.closest(new Filter<GroundItem>(){

public boolean match(GroundItem item){
  		return item != null && item.getName().contains("arrow") && Map.canReach(item);

}

});

36 minutes ago, withoutidols said:

If I'm not mistaken your current version of *arrows1* , is actually a filter. You're simply using some syntactical sugar to do it inline!

For reference below is what is really happening behind the scenes

GroundItem arrow = GroundItems.closest(new Filter<GroundItem>(){

public boolean match(GroundItem item){
  		return item != null && item.getName().contains("arrow") && Map.canReach(item);

}

});

Thanks - that does help my understanding reading it though