Thoughts about BlueJ?

Sebastian

20 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on BlueJ for Java? My uni wants me to use BlueJ to learn classes and objects but i don't really enjoy it. The editor is ugly and i already understand classes and objects. 

Looks cancerous.

I'm very surprised your university is restricting you to a specific IDE, what course are you studying?

Just learn your own way, use your own choice of IDE, and do the assignments in the way they want you to do them.

I'm sure you could always just write code in another IDE and then import to bluej?

If they actually want you to learn the specifics of bluej, then that's retarded, but you don't have a choice.

Would recommend Intellij IDEA for Java development.

Edited by Explv

13 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Sadly i need to use blueJ because they want to give a preliminary examination.. :(

I've never used bluej, it seems like it's good for learning the basics I guess, not really a proper IDE for software development.

Just put up with it bro, surely it's only for one module / part of the course?

On 23-11-2017 at 9:34 PM, Explv said:

Looks cancerous.

I'm very surprised your university is restricting you to a specific IDE, what course are you studying?

Just learn your own way, use your own choice of IDE, and do the assignments in the way they want you to do them.

I'm sure you could always just write code in another IDE and then import to bluej?

If they actually want you to learn the specifics of bluej, then that's retarded, but you don't have a choice.

Would recommend Intellij IDEA for Java development.

Yea it looks really cancerous. I'm already using IntelliJ but school really wants us to use BlueJ. Well, there's no option i guess.

• 1 month later...

That is one of the ugliest IDE I have ever seen. Learn enough about BlueJ to provide your explanations, but do your work elsewhere in an environment you prefer. If it really is a requirement you can't get around then make the most of it. I expect the reason they have everyone using the same IDE is so the answers and tests can be applied to the entire classroom. You don't have people using Eclipse, IntelliJ, BlueJ, etc when the professor wants a specific answer or tells you to go somewhere specific inside the program. It looks horrible though, sorry.

• 6 months later...

Had to use BlueJ during first year of study computer science aswell. It's good for people that don't understand the concept of classes and objects but as you said you already know those, it kinda sucks.

Just had a look and i still have the book "Programming in Java with BlueJ (fourth edition)" here lol.. anyways it could still teach you some useful things i guess, maybe make you more familiar with class diagrams?