Is my power supply to weak?

Oliver

My computer sometimes freezes (blue/grey/black screen with NO error code or any kind of text).

It happens while normal tasks like surfing the web, youtube, but also while playing lol or while i am away botting. 

My computer: 

i7 4790k

16gb ram

radeon r9 270x

my power supply is a be quiet pure power  L8 530 W Cable management

is it too weak?

3 minutes ago, Stimpack said:

Are you overclocking?

no never and it also can happen while pc is idle with no big program running

1 minute ago, Tom said:

You're cutting it pretty close oliver, with that CPU and GPU youd probably want a 650 PSU

are you sure? do you think the psu causes the problem?

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

You're cutting it pretty close oliver, with that CPU and GPU youd probably want a 650 PSU

but wouldnt it then just freeze if i run a GPU/CPU intensive programm and not while browsing the web?

4 minutes ago, Oliver said:

no never and it also can happen while pc is idle with no big program running

are you sure? do you think the psu causes the problem?

Your 550 should be fine, but cutting it pretty close to not enough, the only reason is suggest going up to 650 is to compensate for any additional parts you have running, e.g. amount of harddrives, LED's, little things like that. As well as your CPU being pretty high end. I have pretty much the same specs but i run a 750 PSU.

The PSU could be causing the problem, have you tried running the PC in Safemode with Networking? You should be able to run a bot still, which will let you confirm if its hardware of software related

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

530 watts should be able to handle it just fine, the fact that it happens randomly instead of when performing heavy tasks confirms this.

If you just want to be safe you have enough power, buy a 600+ watts PSU, they don't cost THAT much to replace.

Edited by Rudie

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Your 550 should be fine, but cutting it pretty close to not enough, the only reason is suggest going up to 650 is to compensate for any additional parts you have running, e.g. amount of harddrives, LED's, little things like that. As well as your CPU being pretty high end. I have pretty much the same specs but i run a 750 PSU.

The PSU could be causing the problem, have you tried running the PC in Safemode with Networking? You should be able to run a bot still, which will let you confirm if its hardware of software related

2 minutes ago, Rudie said:

530 watts should be able to handle it just fine, the fact that it happens randomly instead of when performing heavy tasks confirms this.

any idea what else could cause the problem?

Just now, Oliver said:

any idea what else could cause the problem?

It could still be the PSU despite it delivers enough power, you can test the power supply using a tool like this https://www.amazon.de/Netzteil-Tester-Netzteiltester-Diagnose-Computer/dp/B00ALNG5K0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487944270&sr=8-2&keywords=power+supply+tester (you live in germany right?)

has anyone an idea how i can find the problem? (unskilled with computers)

Just now, Rudie said:

It could still be the PSU despite it delivers enough power, you can test the power supply using a tool like this https://www.amazon.de/Netzteil-Tester-Netzteiltester-Diagnose-Computer/dp/B00ALNG5K0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487944270&sr=8-2&keywords=power+supply+tester (you live in germany right?)

austria, thank you!