Copyright Infringement, Code Stolen for Profit, etc.

Jordan

Disputed member: @RSCrates

Explanation:

I run and operate http://rsjackpot.org/  that we created that allows users a chance to win items in RuneScape from buying "Cases". We have paid thousands to have the website created and spent many more thousands to keep it online. The user in question has created a website that undeniably copies our content, our design, and most damning, our code. The issue is that we have spent so much to create our website, and now our code is being stolen and they are using our code for profit. I've contacted them and they claim that they haven't stolen our code and that they would "Address" issues. The problem is, if they modify or cover up the fact they stole code, they have still used our stolen code for profit. They should have to rewrite the entire code from scratch before they are allowed to advertise on this website, even if it is through his username.

They are using our website, content, and code in order to attempt to steal a market share, steal users, and to make a profit. 

What I want from OSBot: The user's name to be changed and him be banned from advertising the website in any form.

As for damages and payments, we will decide this through legal methods.

Evidence:

Compare the code/css of our website and theirs and you will find that it was clearly built off of our code. Modifying a few words and some code is not acceptable.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160712011903/http://rsjackpot.org/how-to-win.php

http://rsjackpot.org/

https://rscrates.com/

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

My site:WOv3Nr2.png

Their site:

n52dChP.png

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

My site:cihehxi.png

(on our old version of the site, it said "how to win")

Their site:Coo3EWr.png

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

Our old site + the login | register code

A6IKem1.png

Their site + the login | register code

21oxjp5.png

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

Our saradomin case:

gkitPg4.png

Their "saradomin crate"zKFpTnn.png

Horizontal+Line+Fade.pngOur terms

ga75ZbF.png

Thier terms

CPDjRHb.png

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

I could sit here all day and make comparisons. I think it's very clear their site was based off of our idea and just reworked to hide similarities.

Horizontal+Line+Fade.png

Chat log with their livechat:

Shigeo
Hi, how can we help you today? =)

You — Please update your info
Was wondering if this site is legit??

Shigeo
Yes, our site is legit :) We have payout several customers.

If you have any doubts or queries, please let us know

ok

do you have pictures of the orders?

Shigeo
I'm do not have the access to the pictures

hmmmm

Shigeo
But we are partnered with one of the biggest payment processor online G2APay

Which we had to undergo their verification in order to get approved to be their merchant

where did you guys get the idea for this

Shigeo
We had the idea from CSGO Cases

Where did you find us from? If I may ask

saw the name on osbot

i used rsjackpot

are you the same as them?

looks the same?

Shigeo
I see :) Glad that you found your way here

We operate on the same concept, but we are not partnered with them or related to them.

u have to be though

its the same code right?

or did you get same developer?

Shigeo
The site is coded and designed by us

Except for the crate pictures which we outsourced them
Okay.

Shigeo
Glad to help :) Do let me us know if you need anything else
ok so this site is 100% coded by urself?

Shigeo
Not by me but someone I know
gl

Shigeo
Thank you :)

If I may ask, are you related to RSJackpot?
on appeal

Shigeo
I'm sorry?

?
I'm Jordan, the owner of RSJackpot.org. We have proof that contradicts what you've told me in this chat. We plan to take this to the furthest extent and leave no avenue unexplored. Competition is one thing, but stealing the idea, code, concept, layout, etc. is another.

Shigeo
No worries
Consider this an informal cease and desist.

I'm contacting our attorney tomorrow.

Shigeo
You can't do that when you do not even own the rights to Runescape

RuneScape isn't involved in any way. You (I) don't claim to own the rights to RuneScape. What we do is against a Terms of Service, which isn't illegal. What you have done, however, is illegal.

I do recommend you seek legal council.

Shigeo
Well glad to have this discussion with you, we will revise our contents.
Stolen and modified is not acceptable.

It will have to be a complete rewrite.

Shigeo
May I know where do you think we have copied from you?

We will consult it with our developer but we found anything suspicious or out of the ordinary. We will take the necessary changes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jordan said:

What I am asking for is the user's name to be changed and him to be barred from advertising on the site.

I plan to handle monetary damages through legal methods. If you wish to contact me, I've PM'd you my email.

Hi,

I'm unable to receive PM on this site. Do you mind posting your skype or email on my account page.

Thank you

@Jordan & @Shigeo if you two can resolve this between you two, that would be perfect. However, i will asking some people who are more knowledgeable than me on this specific matter to help out with this dispute. Therefore, there might be a bit of a delay on what the staff team will decide to do. 

Edit: Also, @Shigeo who was the person who made your website? Could you get them to respond here?

17 minutes ago, Decode said:

@Jordan & @Shigeo if you two can resolve this between you two, that would be perfect. However, i will asking some people who are more knowledgeable than me on this specific matter to help out with this dispute. Therefore, there might be a bit of a delay on what the staff team will decide to do. 

Edit: Also, @Shigeo who was the person who made your website? Could you get them to respond here?

The person that developed the website does not have an OSbot account but is beside me right now, what else would you like to know?

38 minutes ago, Decode said:

Could he explain this whole mess? Why was @Jordan's website copied? 

Hi to all those interested in this drama, 

We actually do not wish answer his poor accusation but we decided that it will be bad our brand.

We would like to address several accusation made by Jordan.

1. Our site was built from scratch, we gotten the concept from a similar site but from a different game and I'm pretty sure Jordan got his from there too.

2. Anyone with HTML knowledge and see that our site RSCrates.com and Jordan's site is built with a different framework. (RSCrates.com is an SPA, his is not)

3. Our crates' rewards uses a provably random algorithm to determine the rewards given out, as far as I know Jordan's site doesn't do that

4. Jordan claims that we copied his site's terms and condition, however that is not true because we took it from CSGOlottos. Jordan using it was just a mere coincidence, he even copied the entire thing while we read through the ToS and edited it to fit our site. He even copied the state of operation (Florida) and may have deceived their customers. 

5. Jordan's claims that we copied his site's Login/Register display CSS, however as far I'm advised a snippet of CSS is not enough to make a copyright strike. Using someone's site as inspiration is different from copying it. However, to prevent conflicts on this issue we have modified RSCrates.com

If a small similarity in CSS is considered copyright infringement, then shouldn't Oracle won their lawsuit over Google for copying 11,500 lines of code? SOURCE

We feel that we have answered enough, however if he (Jordan) has anything else to say. We will gladly continue if needed. 

Edited by Shigeo
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Decode said:

Thank you for the response @Shigeo seeing as we at the staff team have close to no knowledge regarding HTML/CSS etc.. We're consulting a third party who will be able to help us decide what we'll be doing with regards to this dispute. 

No worries glad to help and btw another user post that something similar happened on sythe. If they read it whole incident, it's nothing similar.

Thank you

Edited by Shigeo
  • Like 1