Can any1 figure it out

Apaec

maths/logic puzzle!

I borrowed 100 roubles from you.  Then I went shopping and lost that money.  But then I met my friend and borrowed 50 roubles from her.  I was able to buy two chocolate bars costing 10 roubles each, leaving me 30 roubles.  I repaid part of my debt to you with that 30 roubles, making me owe you further 70 roubles, as well as 50 roubles to my friend.  In all, 120 roubles.  Plus I have two chocolate bars.

Total: 140 roubles.  I am 10 roubles short!  Where are they?

PS rouble is russian currency, for those who didn't know.

Edit: have the answer:

Think about it. The 50 roubles borrowed from the friend doesn't get lost anywhere. Imagine you didn't buy any chocolate bars, you just gave back 30/50 roubles. That leaves you with 20 roubles, with your total debt being 120 roubles. You own 20 roubles, and you owe 120, so if you wanted to you could repay more of your debt with the remaining 20 roubles and get your debt down to 100 roubles. This 100 roubles is the money which you initially borrowed (and proceeded to lose).

Edited by Apaec

By repaying the 100, the question just becomes more confusing. Lets try to explain this.

Debt:

You spend 20, and you got 30 + 2 chocolates left.

You repay 30.

Debt:

You're now 120 in debt + the chocolate you got yourself. Which adds up. Sell the chocolate for 20, and repay 20. You're now 100 in debt.

You're mixing what you have and what you owe. 

TL:DR: Don't do 120 + 20 = 140. Do 120 - 20 = 100. Calculate how much you owe.

Edited by Shudsy

By repaying the 100, the question just becomes more confusing. Lets try to explain this.

Debt:

You spend 20, and you got 30 + 2 chocolates left.

You repay 30.

Debt:

You're now 120 in debt + the chocolate you got yourself. Which adds up. Sell the chocolate for 20, and repay 20. You're now 100 in debt.

You're mixing what you have and what you owe. 

TL:DR: Don't do 120 + 20 = 140. Do 120 - 20 = 100. Calculate how much you owe.

you nailed it ! :) well done

The formula to calculate the total (amount of involved money, ambigious) is:

All the money you owe to person 1 + all the money you owe to person 2 = 150 + 100 = 150

However, the question assumes that the formula to calculate the total amount of involved money is:

Part of the money you owe to person 1 + all of the money you owe to person 2 + chocolates = 70 + 20 + 20 = 140

The formula presented by the question is bogus.

Edited by Botre