Serious question: Can you use an ip address to find old friends?

NoahTheWeebWolf

I used to be a member of  the Yahoo answers community (kind of like 4chan except PG-13ish).

I made a few really great friends from there, only problem is we got banned a lot; mostly for posting in polls & surveys(Otherwise known as Trolls & Surveys). That place is like the worst part of a bad area; you could have 100% best answers and been a member for years but if you post there once... BAM! Reporter trolls(people who report you for no valid reason other than for lulz) will swarm you like moths to a fire. Not long afterwards you'd likely get banned. Did I mention there we're no mods either so it was always complete chaos and it was up to an automated machine to give warnings/bans? Point blank it sucked.

That said my friends and I would constantly lose contact with each other, and we'd have to keep making new emails and find each other again. This worked for about 2 years but then we all got really busy in life and lost contact with each other after the last wave of bans back in March 2014.

I was able to find my friend's ip address a little while ago via the email header. It's too late for me to go back to Yahoo answers and find my friends the layout got completely changed and is a nightmare to use. My last account was made and shortly banned in March 2014. That said it's almost impossible for me to find them through more conventional means. I am hoping/wondering if I could find a current email/phone number using their ip address, so I can reconnect with them.

I doubt they'll mind(I know I wouldn't); I am sure they'll just be happy to hear from me after all this time.

Thanks in advance.

No the only thing you might get is a geographical location, the only way to find exactly where one is would be to look up the IP and possible call the ISP provider. Unless you have some advance technology to break down the geo location then I highly doubt you will be able to find someone based on the IP. 

Edited by IT Solutions

No the only thing you might get is a geographical location, the only way to find exactly where one is would be to look up the IP and possible call the ISP provider. Unless you have some advance technology to break down the geo location then I highly doubt you will be able to find someone based on the IP.

I think even advance technology would only give to a certain distance of your exchange box, as only police ext would be able to give such precision unless you pay a nice amount for the technology.

• Like 1

*Sigh* This blows... One step forward two steps back. Am I right?

I suppose the only thing I can do now is contact the ISP for each IP and try to convince them these are good friends of mine and I have no ill intent.

Pretty sure even then they'll refuse to help due to privacy concerns. *Sigh*

*Sigh* This blows... One step forward two steps back. Am I right?

I suppose the only thing I can do now is contact the ISP for each IP and try to convince them these are good friends of mine and I have no ill intent.

Pretty sure even then they'll refuse to help due to privacy concerns. *Sigh*

ISP's aren't allowed to share such information.

• Like 1

you could try this

http://mostwantedhf.info/email.php

and this

http://skypegrab.net/ip2skype.php

but if you have his email why don't you just send them a msg?

Thanks I will try them.

It's as I said before we all got banned constantly and whenever we did we'd dispose of our emails and make new ones(you can only make one Yahoo answers profile per email).

Now it's been a year since I have spoken to these three friends of mine the last dates I interacted with each is as follows.

Friend #1 his final account got banned around February 19th, I think. That was actually his 136th banned account(yes we all kept track, and it was a really funny inside joke). The way he named the accounts was very predictable actually, and he numbered them to keep track so now if he made a new account it'd be #137. Once every month or two I email that potential account hoping it's been made and will go through, but it never does(Since it's yet to be made).

Friend #2 his final account was banned February 5th. Although I think, he may have killed himself =(. He told me he was very depressed and over time just sounded more and more unhappy. To this day, I have no idea whatever happened to him.

Friend #3 her final account got banned Christmas day 2014. The messed up part is we were just about to exchange phone numbers again(we had before like two years back but our numbers changed since last time). That was a real bummer.