YoHoJo's Assorted Market Safety Tips

YoHoJo

Hello everyone, YoHoJo here, a long time member of various Runescape botting forums and black markets with over 8 years of experience.
I'll just be using this thread to give you guys my various tips/advice on how to stay safe in the black market section!
I will be periodically editing this thread with more tips and even adding in your guys' advice (with credit of course).

PayPal Payments can ALWAYS be Charged Back

• If you receive a payment for any sort of virtual goods though PayPal it can always easily be charged back by the purchaser.
  • Contrary to popular belief a 'gift' payment or any sort of 'note' will NOT keep you safe from charge-backs.
  • Scammeres can file an "Unauthorized Transaction" or a "I haven't received my item." dispute for virtual items, since there is no receipt for the order.
  • Since you are selling virtual goods, there is no way for us to prove the items were delivered (PayPal doesn't care for video game footage/images) and you will lose the dispute.
  • Try to use PayPal invoices or "Buy Now" buttons in order to create a proper invoice of the trade, and log down as much information about the user and trade you can in case of a dispute!

Skype Display Name vs 'Skype Name'

• When trading a user on Skype make sure to check their Skype Name, and not just their Display Name.
  • The Skype Name can not be changed, and is set for each account, while
  • Display Name can be charged to absolutely anything!
  • To see this, right click the name on your Skype contact list, click View Profile, and then check the Skype Name.
  • I HIGHLY suggest all market uses create an "add my Skype" button so users can simply click the button to add their Skype, which reduces runins with impostors!
  • How to create an add Skype button: http://osbot.org/forum/topic/6108-how-to-add-skype-button-to-forum-posts-profile-and-signature/

dKzM1tJ.png

ALWAYS To Request PMs
Although instant messaging programs such at Skype are much more convenient to use than PM systems, it's always best to request a PM on the forums just once in order to confirm the user identities. Sometimes users' IM accounts may become hacked or compromised, therefore a PM is the best way to ensure you are talking with the right user and serves as great proof for dispute threads!

Edited by YoHoJo
  • Like 1

This is kinda an odd section for this but these are some useful tips but kinda common knowledge tongue.png....

Also you can add a skype button here: http://osbot.org/forum/topic/6108-how-to-add-skype-button-to-forum-posts-profile-and-signature/

It's common to seasoned market people yes, but there are a huge amount of people who don't know these things which we assume are basic knowledge and get scammed.

You'd really be surprised on how many people fall prey to Skype impostors the number is quite high, they check only the display name and not the profile and get fooled.

Many new people to the market are also unaware about PayPal not covering virtual goods and getting charged back.

Yeah noted down the bit about adding a Skype button to avoid this problem, and I was going to link your thread too, I'll add that now.

This is kinda an odd section for this but these are some useful tips but kinda common knowledge tongue.png....

Also you can add a skype button here: http://osbot.org/forum/topic/6108-how-to-add-skype-button-to-forum-posts-profile-and-signature/

It's common to seasoned market people yes, but there are a huge amount of people who don't know these things which we assume are basic knowledge and get scammed.

You'd really be surprised on how many people fall prey to Skype impostors the number is quite high, they check only the display name and not the profile and get fooled.

Many new people to the market are also unaware about PayPal not covering virtual goods and getting charged back.

Yeah noted down the bit about adding a Skype button to avoid this problem, and I was going to link your thread too, I'll add that now.

Yah trust me i know alot of people get scammed from imposters :(..... and this is a good thread not undercutting you or anything :P

• Like 1

Very nice guide, you might want to include 'safe' ways to trade (WU or bank transfers)

offtopic : how do you edit your display name? I would love to change mine, but I have no idea on how to do it, and I read somewhere that you cannot change your name sad.png

Thank you, yeah in the future I'll add some safer options (and oh yeah PlayerAuctions!)

On Skype click your name (near your status) at the very top left.

Then you'll be on your profile window, then you just click your Display Name (twice I think?) and you can edit it.

Looks like this: 

xW0wAf9.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...