What did you do today?

RDM

Well.. I got to sit in the emergency room for 5 1/2 hours today and looked after my co-worker.. The day started off the same as always: Unloading the tools for the day, finishing off yesterdays work and then started sheeting the next floor after lunch. 

About an hour into the afternoon shift we had a preventable accident. We use a zoomboom (a forklift with an extendible arm) to move material around the site and we had about a tonne of floor sheeting on the forks. My co-worker was on the lift cutting a sheet to be put down. We had a pretty good groove going, he was cutting and measuring while I was laying and screwing. 

As I was walking towards him to grab the next sheet the lift shifted and started to slide off the forks with him still on top. He grabbed onto the sheets just like anyone else would out of pure instinct and his fingers were caught under 8-10 sheets. His fingers were ripped from his fingernails, around his finger and to the joint closest to his hand. If you want to imagine what it would look like, it looked like a hot dog splitting. 

Thankfully we were working about 7 minutes away from the closest hospital and I raced him over there. 

Another guy with the same first name was in the waiting room sitting beside us, who cut his thumb on a table saw. Quite coincidental.

After 3 hours of waiting he finally got into x-rays. He was lucky and only the very tip of his middle finger was fractured. 

We finally got to see the doctor about 4 hours into this mess. Getting the freezing was probably the worst part for him since that's all he could feel. 

Being able to watch the whole thing was pretty interesting. I know know how to stitch in case it needs to be done by a non-professional. 

Other than his two fingers he is alright. He's a super tough guy and hates to sit around and do nothing so he says he will be back at work on Thursday. 

This could have been way worse than it actually was but thankfully this was all that happened.

So... What did you do today?