Should you be able to kill civilians in war?

TR33

10 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion?

• Yes
    • No
    • To an extent (specify below)

I see where you are coming from with this and you make some very valid points. The only thing I would say is that soldiers are the ones who are supposed to be doing the fighting that's why they sign up to the forces. If you are bombing cities you will be killing innocent women (I understand some women would work in factories and i will get on to that point) and children who contribute nothing towards the actual war itself even if they are paying taxes and so forth. Therefore I do not think they can in any way be perceived as part of the war.

Factories yes I agree to truly crumble a nation and win a war you must cut off supplies. Although it may seem quite barbaric to do so and what many people would consider innocent people would be killed, these people in their own way are a huge part of the war. If you truly want to win a war you are right when you say you must target the backbone and that would be to put a cease to moral within the country in question, however I myself do not think I could drop a bomb on an enemy nation knowing full well I would be killing women and children. Factories and plants yes, targeting cities in order to kill civilians no. I personally think that if they are civilians although they will of course be supporting their country in the effort they should not be dragged into it.

War is something everybody has different views on but if there was to be another world war then nuclear warheads would come into the equation and I feel like there could be no real winner in that situation.

I agree with everything other than the signing up for the forces. Sure now we can just sign up, but before there was the draft. And if there was another large scale war I'm sure it'd be back again.

And I think hope that our current world leaders are smart enough to not use such a devastating weapon. The problem would be when you get those maniac suicidal leaders that wants death to everything moving. 

I think the question is why do you starting a war? Usually, wars have target to occupy enemy's oilfields, or other resource source. Or to make people slaves and get them working on you. Those targets does'nt justify destroying factories, infrastructure etc. And, of course, does'nt legitimate killing civilians. There are no legitimate wars in the world.

I agree with that mostly. But what about the country defending themself from this tyrannical nation? They definitely have a reason to be killing the enemy and in whatever means would lead to the swiftest victory.

there-is-no-flag-large-enough-to-cover-t

I hate how the U.S glories its army and looks for ways for youth to join it. They offer so much benefits and say stuff like your not going to be actually fighting in the battlefield but instead youll just be blindly helping the U.S murder more innocent people for their own private agenda. What does the army do expect make profit for private corporations and turn a man into a killer

I hate how the U.S glories its army and looks for ways for youth to join it. They offer so much benefits and say stuff like your not going to be actually fighting in the battlefield but instead youll just be blindly helping the U.S murder more innocent people for their own private agenda. What does the army do expect make profit for private corporations and turn a man into a killer

Can add that entire U.S. government policy is policy of lies. They lie to their own citizen. The entire propaganda machine of U.S. is so huge that they can transfer their point of view to half of the world. This leads to people get lost and do wrong things. The first thing U.S. do when they occupate a country is take mass media to control and start transferring propaganda.

Possibly defends it's nation for one. Provide security for other nations is another.

The military isn't evil. I agree that what we are doing in the middle east is as you described and we shouldn't be there, but military in general? No.

I agree with everything other than the signing up for the forces. Sure now we can just sign up, but before there was the draft. And if there was another large scale war I'm sure it'd be back again.

And I think hope that our current world leaders are smart enough to not use such a devastating weapon. The problem would be when you get those maniac suicidal leaders that wants death to everything moving. 

Yes I agree they would be likely to do a draft, but from what I am aware there was a world population of less than 2.5 billion in 1938. Today there is over 7.2 billion. This could obviously mean each country has more people meaning there would just be bigger forces; or it could mean there may not necessarily be a draft.

There was a population of around 5 billion people in 2000, that means that in 62 years there was a growth in population by 2.5 billion, so in 14 years  we have nearly accomplished that. If we carry on there will not be enough room. This is precisely why I think our leaders are stupid enough to start another war. There are simply to many people.

Civilians are the backbone for a country's war effort. Without them there are no taxes coming in, no supplies being made, no new soldiers being enlisted. You hit a country's backbone hard enough and they crumble (As the UK would of done without the US and as Germany did at the end). You ignore their backbone and keep hacking off their ligaments (deployed soldiers) then these ligaments keep growing right back and you have an incredibly long and drawn out war.

That is a horrible thing. Simply put, it's disgusting you would think killing innocent civilians is a method of war.

Is it your choice to where your tax money goes? Can you control your government's actions?

How would you feel if Iraq and Afghanistan invaded your home country & killed you family because their tax dollars support your government.

War is a dirty thing, shit happens. But when something along the lines of what you're talking about occurs, it's considered a war crime.

• Like 1

The first thing U.S. do when they occupate a country is take mass media to control and start transferring propaganda.

As does every other nation that takes over an area. Ever hear of the people in and around Germany that were jealous of the Jews awesome camps?

You're not gonna take some land over and tell the people there "we are the enemies, try to kill us".

The reason I'm joining the canadian military is not to become a killer and be able to literally get away with murder, It's because the military will pay for my college education, to the college of my choice. 

When I'm done with the military at 24, have no debt, a college diploma, military work experience, and $150000 to my name with benefits. I'll be glad I joined the military.

That is a horrible thing. Simply put, it's disgusting you would think killing innocent civilians is a method of war.

Is it your choice to where your tax money goes? Can you control your government's actions?

How would you feel if Iraq and Afghanistan invaded your home country & killed you family because their tax dollars support your government.

War is a dirty thing, shit happens. But when something along the lines of what you're talking about occurs, it's considered a war crime.

War isn't about if I'm gonna get my feelings hurt.

And the killing of civilians has happened in literally every single war ever.

The reason I'm joining the canadian military is not to become a killer and be able to literally get away with murder, It's because the military will pay for my college education, to the college of my choice. 

When I'm done with the military at 24, have no debt, a college diploma, military work experience, and $150000 to my name with benefits. I'll be glad I joined the military.

And if Canada goes to war in that time? You will be killing others that are possibly joining the military for the same reason.

Yes I agree they would be likely to do a draft, but from what I am aware there was a world population of less than 2.5 billion in 1938. Today there is over 7.2 billion. This could obviously mean each country has more people meaning there would just be bigger forces; or it could mean there may not necessarily be a draft.

There was a population of around 5 billion people in 2000, that means that in 62 years there was a growth in population by 2.5 billion, so in 14 years  we have nearly accomplished that. If we carry on there will not be enough room. This is precisely why I think our leaders are stupid enough to start another war. There are simply to many people.

Also why I think there is an increased prevalence in these mass killings. Look at any other species when it gets too overcrowded, they start killing one another.

But now we are off topic.

• Like 1

Killing civilians during war called genocide. It is useless. You could'nt do anything with ruined territory without people.

Stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I believe it depends on the circumstances. Like in WWII we would do bombing rungs and shoot into bomb factories. These people were "civilians" that were working with the enemy (referring to the Allied Powers against Axis). These shootings and bombing killed the people working there, but it stopped the production of weapons and munitions that were going to be used against our own forces.

The term "civilian" is overused in modern society. If your nation occupies an area and the occupants want you out, they are not civilians, they are combatants imo.

EDIT:

Can add that entire U.S. government policy is policy of lies. They lie to their own citizen. The entire propaganda machine of U.S. is so huge that they can transfer their point of view to half of the world. This leads to people get lost and do wrong things. The first thing U.S. do when they occupate a country is take mass media to control and start transferring propaganda.

Can you name a time that a nation who occupied another nation has NOT used propaganda? The US is a super power because there are many willing to fight for the freedoms they receive in the USA. Do I think the government lies to its people? To an extent, yes, BUT to be clear, I think there is sometimes a need to lie to citizens. We don't want to cause mass panic because the president's briefing included a potential terrorist attack, although the odds of it happening are extremely low. 

America. Love it, or leave it.

Edited by Hush
  • Like 1

Stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I believe it depends on the circumstances. Like in WWII we would do bombing rungs and shoot into bomb factories. These people were "civilians" that were working with the enemy (referring to the Allied Powers against Axis). These shootings and bombing killed the people working there, but it stopped the production of weapons and munitions that were going to be used against our own forces.

The term "civilian" is overused in modern society. If your nation occupies an area and the occupants want you out, they are not civilians, they are combatants imo.

Exactly.

I'd be interested to hear what the term civilian is in a time of war from a person that is against it. Is the pilot delivering troops to the battlefield a civilian? He isn't killing people, yet he is delivering a resource to the military.

• Like 1

War isn't about if I'm gonna get my feelings hurt.

And the killing of civilians has happened in literally every single war ever.

And if Canada goes to war in that time? You will be killing others that are possibly joining the military for the same reason.

It's the price I pay for a head start on life. Canada hasn't invaded or been invaded in a very long time, and I doubt the Canadian government has intentions on going to war.

It's the price I pay for a head start on life. Canada hasn't invaded or been invaded in a very long time, and I doubt the Canadian government has intentions on going to war.

So by your own words, you are willing to commit murder to get a head start in life? Some how I'm the disgusting one for wanting to end a war as fast as possible but it's ok to murder others to get a free education and some money? Remember you won't have a choice as to where you go or who you kill. And if you throw a grenade into a building that you were told had a soldier in it but ended up to be a scared family, at least you get to go home with a nice wad of cash. Just the price you have to pay right? Not your fault, you weren't even expecting to have to go to war just because you joined a nation's military.