Dell Poweredge R620 2x Xeon 2660 128gb Ram

OSnap

Recently picked this server up on Amazon for a good price to run my bots on.

Just got it fired up, currently running 2 mirror clients with about 3.5% to 4.5% load per client on the CPU

load.png.4c28403afa96974cd20dbcb62c377df4.png

IMO this is a much better option than renting out a VPS or Dedi.  Server cost $475, a solid VPS or dedi to run any sizeable farm will be $100+ /mo.

This should run 25-30 mirror mode clients without issue.

Edited by OSnap

10 hours ago, Kramnik said:

You are forgetting the main issue here - Electricity. There is energy crisis in the world right now and electricity costs a lot. If you run this server constantly with a lot of bots your electricity bill could increase by 70-150 $ depends where you live.

Electricity isn't too bad here.   I also have 6 Antminer L3s running on my grid so I just lump that power in with the server. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was just thinking of picking one of these up. Actually I was considering the R720. What are your thoughts on the Dell PowerEdge R720? About $700 for 200gb ram and 40mb cache total (not sure what layer)

On 12/28/2021 at 8:38 PM, Kramnik said:

You are forgetting the main issue here - Electricity. There is energy crisis in the world right now and electricity costs a lot. If you run this server constantly with a lot of bots your electricity bill could increase by 70-150 $ depends where you live.

<s>Honestly Kramnik I used to daily drive a proliant DL360 G7 (now I made it headless to reduce fanspin) and running 10 in stealth mode which seems to use about half the capacity of the xeon x5650 (I don't like running all the cores because it's too loud) only draws about 35-50 watts (out of around 500 that I think the server can comfortably pull with a 750 watt limit -- IIRC generally you don't wanna test the psu limit unless you fancy a blown cap or dirty electricity). Back when I used to use it with a GPU it typically only drew 3 watts on idle and about 75 on max load (e.g., compiling a gentoo kernel).</s>

EDIT: I'm an idiot I'm glad I posted this cause it made me second guess myself. I was using powertop which was not giving an accurate view of power usage at all. I just finished configuring ilo and I'm using more like 135 watts. So IMO I'm definitely gonna upgrade my server since it's using about as much as OP

EDIT: I'm an idiot again because I'm basing the 135 watts off of initial power spike. I'll leave it on a while and see what it averages to

Now a proliant isn't exactly the most beast of a server but from what I've seen / read servers usually draw substantially less than gaming PCs

Posted a more general thread about hardware if you're interested OP

Edited by BigCahunaBurger