Rent dedicated server (OVH) or DIY

EgoLiberation

I want to rent a dedicated server and I’m not asking for help to set it up (yet) as there’s lots of guides out there but I wanted more so to ask what are the benefits and downsides of renting vs buying one of those cheap dual xeon  Servers on eBay. I’m open to learning Linux and setting things up efficiently.  

It depends but over time I think having your own server outweighs renting one but you gotta keep in mind that electricity costs, up time, and all those other things are included in the cost of renting a server. Having you're own hardware will put all that on you. Plus I've heard that servers can get noisy so you'd need to deal with that. However, as a negative for renting, you don't own the hardware you're renting so you'll need to continue paying for it month to month. Depending on the scale you farm at, monthly costs could add up to the cost of buying your own server within a few months. 

Edited by arbicrax172

Things I see. You dont have VIP, you don't even mass bot at the moment? In that case what could happen is you buy a dedi server, try botting and after sometime see that you are constantly losing money due to bans and can't continue botting thus you're left with server you got no use. A lot of people came, invested 1000+ USD for servers, private script, accounts, proxies, bonds and made no progress and quit some time later :) 

Absolutely no reason to buy/rent your own server unless you 100% know what your doing. OSRS is a very lightweight game, and the low CPU mode on OSB makes it even more so. If I wanted to, I could run like 30 accounts at once on my PC.

Experiment with the hardware you already have before investing in more.