Sorting tie-breakers in stream

Solzhenitsyn

I have a question about sorting in a stream. When sorting using a single comparator, o is an RS2Object and the reference to realDistance is found.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance)).findFirst();

When I try to use a second comparator to tie-break, o is an object and the reference to realDistance and bar are not found.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance).thenComparingInt(foo::bar).findFirst();

I am also unable to reverse the result of the sort.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance).reversed()).findFirst();

What is the correct way to tie-break a sort in a stream?

2 hours ago, Solzhenitsyn said:

When I try to use a second comparator to tie-break, o is an object and the reference to realDistance and bar are not found.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance).thenComparingInt(foo::bar).findFirst();

your parentheses are messed up lol. You're welcome

On 7/30/2018 at 5:03 AM, Solzhenitsyn said:

I have a question about sorting in a stream. When sorting using a single comparator, o is an RS2Object and the reference to realDistance is found.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance)).findFirst();

I am also unable to reverse the result of the sort.

objects.getAll().stream.sorted(Comparator.comparingInt(map::realDistance).reversed()).findFirst();

What is the correct way to tie-break a sort in a stream?

Let's see your implementation of bar in foo?

Make sure you specify the type as RS2Object for the first functional interface input (should carry to the chained thenComparing)

Comparator.<RS2Object>comparingInt(map::realDistance)

Also be aware that sorting all objects by realDistance is very computationally expensive.

• Boge 1