What script is allowed?

unknownsin

Hi all, I just got back to RS recently..
and thought of writing some scripts to be placed on the SDN.

Then, I read the rules and requirement and got extremely confused as to what is allowed and not allowed on the SDN.

List of free scripts not allowed on SDN:
-Woodcutting  
1. But there are so many free WC scripts on the SDN. Does this mean that this list of rules only applies to new scripters?
-Specific low-level monster killers  
2. Chicken killer only/Cow killer only script = Not allowed, Prompts you to pick to kill Chicken or Cow before script starts = Allowed?

List of premium scripts not allowed on SDN:
-Simple money making scripts 
--Includes but not limited to: Plankers, Tanners, Karambwans, Fungus, Wine of Zamorak, Red spider eggs, Whiteberries
3. Again, I see lots of Plankers, Tanners etc on the SDN.. and for FREE! So, I would be allowed to write them to be placed on SDN as free scripts?
-Cookers that only use one spot
4. If I write a script that picks up raw chickens from the farm and cook it at the range in the house next to it, this can be allowed to be on SDN for free?
5. Does this mean the Cookers that only use one spot are ONLY allowed to be premium scripts?

If someone could help clarify the questions, that would be lovely.

I think a lot of these rules are to prevent overcrowding of the SDN, especially for free scripts where many (potentially less experienced) scripters tend to write a script and then fail to maintain it. The rules act as a deterrent for this, encouraging scripters to write more involved projects which are more likely to be used over other similar scripts as well as more likely to remain well maintained.

Specific low level monster killers tend to be overshadowed by generic versions of a similar script, for example a 'lumbridge goblin killer' is a trivially inferior version of an 'all-in-one fighter' script.

I agree the rules are quite particular in places, but i'm sure there is a good reason behind each rule. If you want to develop a script and you're not sure whether or not it would be allowed, there's no harm in asking!

Apa

1 hour ago, Team Cape said:

Uhh, honestly I don't know whether you are an idiot or not. What did Google say?
Anyway, it doesn't matter since I don't have much interest in you and that's off topic.

1 hour ago, Apaec said:

I think a lot of these rules are to prevent overcrowding of the SDN, especially for free scripts where many (potentially less experienced) scripters tend to write a script and then fail to maintain it. The rules act as a deterrent for this, encouraging scripters to write more involved projects which are more likely to be used over other similar scripts as well as more likely to remain well maintained.

Specific low level monster killers tend to be overshadowed by generic versions of a similar script, for example a 'lumbridge goblin killer' is a trivially inferior version of an 'all-in-one fighter' script.

I agree the rules are quite particular in places, but i'm sure there is a good reason behind each rule. If you want to develop a script and you're not sure whether or not it would be allowed, there's no harm in asking!

Apa

Yeah I understand the reasoning behind restrictions, but there are parts of the rules which are somewhat confusing to me.

I am not here to disagree with the rules or be a bitch and complain about the restrictions.
Just here trying to get a better understanding of what can be allowed on SDN and the line between free/premium script.

That is why I came up with those few questions with examples in the first post, hopefully someone could answer/clear them up for me.

Thanks for your explanation though. Much appreciated.

Edited by unknownsin

1 hour ago, unknownsin said:

Yeah I understand the reasoning behind restrictions, but there are parts of the rules which are somewhat confusing to me.

I am not here to disagree with the rules or be a bitch and complain about the restrictions.
Just here trying to get a better understanding of what can be allowed on SDN and the line between free/premium script.

That is why I came up with those few questions with examples in the first post, hopefully someone could answer/clear them up for me.

Thanks for your explanation though. Much appreciated.

I mean, since I don't manage the SDN, I can't really answer any of the specific questions that you have posed. If a script clearly avoids any of the rules then there shouldn't be any problems with the release. If one of the rules associates in some way to the script (e.g in some of the examples you have given), then I suppose it is handled on a case-by-case basis per the judgement of the SDN manager, at which point other factors are considered such as (but not limited to) other current SDN scripts, the quality and apparent robustness of the code, the reputation of the scripter etc.

I think in general the current rules are unhealthy and dumb Specialy for the premium part of it basicly saying yea this person is totaly allowed to have his script on sdn and he won't have competition becouse you're not allowed to make a script like his so this just makes for poor quality tbh. competition = quality i understand that the free script section kinda should be kept under a few rules but on the other side who cares if there are alot of free scripts of the same script it just makes for lower banrates in general due to spreading out the playerbase over these scripts and the truly good ones will get noticed by people anyways