Re: Forum Rule Suggestion

26 minutes ago, siilentalk said:

Who said I was a market god? It's just irritating when people ask for price checks and people reply with 'you're not trusted so its worth nothing'.... It's just stupid and anyone who disagrees is also stupid. Keep going though.

Aces way of thinking, anyone who disagrees is stupid. Moving back to the original point of this thread what is your opinion on the subject matter and not just about the single point that deals with "you're not trusted so it's worth nothing" or "you have less than 100 posts so its worthless"? Do you have any opinion on people using the price check section to bypass the post limit to sell accounts?

Edited by w0000ticus

3 hours ago, Apaec said:

There are rules against spam, yeah. But provided the comments are within the context of the thread (e.g reminding a user about the 100pc requirement if you believe there is a chance they wish to use the market on OSBot) then the post is perfectly valid and has no basis for an infraction.

Right, but if you're posting that the account is worthless - that is obvious spam.

3 hours ago, siilentalk said:

This is going way out of context. Basically the suggestion the OP is replying to is suggesting that 'this is worthless' or 'you don't have 100 posts so nothing' etc and posts of similar nature should be seen as spam. The OP is arguing that this should be allowed as sometimes people won't  be able to sell accounts as they're not trustworthy etc so nobody will buy it (just 1 example). However, just because someone is price checking an account doesn't mean they want to sell it, or sell it on OSB.. A lot of people also base their price checks on the trustworthiness, which is also stupid for the reasons i've just mentioned too.

That was my counter suggestion. The OP stated that there should be a 100 post count in order to post price checks I believe.

26 minutes ago, w0000ticus said:

Aces way of thinking, anyone who disagrees is stupid. Moving back to the original point of this thread what is your opinion on the subject matter and not just about the single point that deals with "you're not trusted so it's worth nothing" or "you have less than 100 posts so its worthless"? Do you have any opinion on people using the price check section to bypass the post limit to sell accounts?

They should just be infracted as if they were trying to sell an account - I think it's a temp ban? I don't know. 

I think an account value shouldn't be based on the OP when making a price check as it has nothing to do with how much the account is worth. When you actually go to sell the account then that has something to do with the value since trusted/not trusted makes a difference. But a price check is just an estimate of value..

Just like when you get your car valued. It's valued on mileage, year, make and model for the most part. When you actually go to sell it, though, they start looking at all the little intricate flaws of the car since it's then being for sale.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

They should just be infracted as if they were trying to sell an account - I think it's a temp ban? I don't know. 

I think an account value shouldn't be based on the OP when making a price check as it has nothing to do with how much the account is worth. When you actually go to sell the account then that has something to do with the value since trusted/not trusted makes a difference. But a price check is just an estimate of value..

Just like when you get your car valued. It's valued on mileage, year, make and model for the most part. When you actually go to sell it, though, they start looking at all the little intricate flaws of the car since it's then being for sale.

I don't know the exacts of the process either, unfortunately. I've seen a couple threads be remove but I don't know what happened to the users.

I absolutely agree with that logic. I'm not trying to remove the price check section but to add the extra level security of time spent on the forums to the price check section to avoid the people who bypass the limitation for sales. It's very easy to report the person who unknowingly posts that they're selling in the thread but what about the users who are smarter than that? There wouldn't even be the opportunity for that interaction to occur then. I also don't mean to say that 100 posts is "trustworthy" by any means but that is the basis at what point osbot "endorses" (for lack of a better word) you to sell accounts. I guess in my mind it kills two birds with one stone.

18 minutes ago, w0000ticus said:

I don't know the exacts of the process either, unfortunately. I've seen a couple threads be remove but I don't know what happened to the users.

I absolutely agree with that logic. I'm not trying to remove the price check section but to add the extra level security of time spent on the forums to the price check section to avoid the people who bypass the limitation for sales. It's very easy to report the person who unknowingly posts that they're selling in the thread but what about the users who are smarter than that? There wouldn't even be the opportunity for that interaction to occur then. I also don't mean to say that 100 posts is "trustworthy" by any means but that is the basis at what point osbot "endorses" (for lack of a better word) you to sell accounts. I guess in my mind it kills two birds with one stone.

I never thought you were trying to get rid of it but I just don't think that adding a 100pc requirement just like account sales would be beneficial in this party, but who knows. Next there's going to be a requirement to sell gold, then to buy, then everything else.

I'm not opposed to adding requirements in to certain sections, I just don't see the point in it. Price check is a estimate and has nothing to do with the rest of the forum. What's next, if someone wants a price check on an account but doesn't have the 100 posts, would they be able to ask someone to post a price check for them and both parties get infracted for that?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

I never thought you were trying to get rid of it but I just don't think that adding a 100pc requirement just like account sales would be beneficial in this party, but who knows. Next there's going to be a requirement to sell gold, then to buy, then everything else.

I'm not opposed to adding requirements in to certain sections, I just don't see the point in it. Price check is a estimate and has nothing to do with the rest of the forum. What's next, if someone wants a price check on an account but doesn't have the 100 posts, would they be able to ask someone to post a price check for them and both parties get infracted for that?

I didn't think of it like that, I like that perspective. I only suggested the sale "limit" be shifted to the price check section as well but I can absolutely see how that could be a slippery slope towards other infractions or evasions. That being said it's very much still connected to account sales (with it's disconnects, as you mention) hence the potential for account sale abuse.

I agree with your argument about people bypassing the limit but I don't however see how it can't be applied to how the sales section currently. The only thing stopping anyone from doing so is the rule about posting who the OO is and even then sometimes that gets lost in the mix. 

I'm still of the belief this would help secure specifically the account sales section and restrict the price checks. Maybe 100 posts is too step but something similar. 

Edited by w0000ticus
formatting / clarity

3 hours ago, w0000ticus said:

I didn't think of it like that, I like that perspective. I only suggested the sale "limit" be shifted to the price check section as well but I can absolutely see how that could be a slippery slope towards other infractions or evasions. That being said it's very much still connected to account sales (with it's disconnects, as you mention) hence the potential for account sale abuse.

I agree with your argument about people bypassing the limit but I don't however see how it can't be applied to how the sales section currently. The only thing stopping anyone from doing so is the rule about posting who the OO is and even then sometimes that gets lost in the mix. 

I'm still of the belief this would help secure specifically the account sales section and restrict the price checks. Maybe 100 posts is too step but something similar. 

I just read that quote you added into the OP. I get what you’re trying to do but doubt it’ll help ultimately. There are complete idiots in the marketplace - for a lack of a better word - and will get scammed regardless or what you do, say or implement to try and keep them safe. Some people like getting scammed while others just have money to blow since they’re either really bored, really rich or a combination of the two and really stupid. 

If this is offensive to some people then good - hopefully this will actually help you since obviously nothing that has been done has. There will always be scammers and there will always be people looking to be scammed, whether they realize it or not. 

Although I'm always for helping people and trying to prevent scams, I just think that awareness is a lot better than requirements as requirements will always find a new way to be bypassed. It’s really hard to search anything without the search bar, but I’ve seen a number of people claim to have had an account recovered by a user with under 100 post count after that rule was implemented. Whether they knew about the 100 post count requirement is irrelevant to the fact that they either went first or bought an account from a no name user with under 100 posts on this forum. There’s just nothing you can do about that and everything you try to do will be thrwarted by those same people you try helping because they’re just stupid. I honestly don’t have any other explanation for why this happens.

So while this isn’t necessarily a horrible idea, I’m not sure how helpful it’ll actually be. It may just be more work as users will spam even more vigorously trying to get that 100 post count for yet another part of the forum to be unlocked or they’ll start posting their price checks in other categories of this forum. 

• Like 1