Help changing Dynamic IP of router

Joliter

I was looking into changing my IP as I have dynamic IP, but I'm connected through a router.  So from my research I came to understand that the router has it's own IP that identifies it on the net, and then it assigns different IPs to computers connected through it, but the computers on the internet identify through the router IP, not their individual ones.

So I go into my router settings, and go to WAN Setup and click Assign WAN IP manually.  I tried making a completely different router IP, but when I click save changes, it won't let me because it says invalid Subnet Mask.  Then I tried changing the last numbers of IP (example: xx.xxx.xxx.123-> .124), but then my internet stops working completely.

Any ideas on how to change my IP without completely having it shit the bed?

10 minutes ago, shern said:

You will need to get a static IP usually held by your ISP. Ring them up.

If you're looking to change your IP by restarting your router because you're IP flagged, don't. It won't work.

What do you mean? Static IPs doesn't change.

1 hour ago, Joliter said:

I was looking into changing my IP as I have dynamic IP, but I'm connected through a router.  So from my research I came to understand that the router has it's own IP that identifies it on the net, and then it assigns different IPs to computers connected through it, but the computers on the internet identify through the router IP, not their individual ones.

So I go into my router settings, and go to WAN Setup and click Assign WAN IP manually.  I tried making a completely different router IP, but when I click save changes, it won't let me because it says invalid Subnet Mask.  Then I tried changing the last numbers of IP (example: xx.xxx.xxx.123-> .124), but then my internet stops working completely.

Any ideas on how to change my IP without completely having it shit the bed?

Where you from, what router have you got, and which provider.

I use a router, and I can change my IP whenever I want.

Edited by Visty

The ip you are changing is most likely a local ip that your router uses to identify each computer connected to it.

If you plan on changing the router's ip, you can do so by doing a restart on the router (you might get back the same ip, hence a static ip) OR call your isp for a change of ip.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, Charlotte said:

The ip you are changing is most likely a local ip that your router uses to identify each computer connected to it.

If you plan on changing the router's ip, you can do so by doing a restart on the router (you might get back the same ip, hence a static ip) OR call your isp for a change of ip.

So I called my ISP, and asked them if they can change my IP, but they said they cannot do that, as the router assigns itself an IP and it might be different the next day.  

Any ideas?

7 hours ago, Joliter said:

So I called my ISP, and asked them if they can change my IP, but they said they cannot do that, as the router assigns itself an IP and it might be different the next day.  

Any ideas?

Try restarting your router. 

You can check if your IP has changed by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/

8 hours ago, Joliter said:

I've restarted it multiple times, no luck.

I have not tried to leave it off overnight though.

Well the IP you were changing through you WAN setup was just the IP that your router uses to identify your computer so changing that wouldn't help.

Maybe try leave it off for 10-20 minutes (doesn't have to be overnight) and see if that works.