GG WP UK; we'll remember you

Fratem

The EU has a combined GDP of 12k billion, the UK has a GDP of  2.5k billion.

Who do you think has the most leverage in UK <-> EU negotiations?

Who do you think has the most leverage in negotiations with EU trading partners?

Vulgar example:

- EU has a deal with USA that creates 500 value for the USA.

- UK wants to start dealing independently  with the USA, and proposes a deal with the USA that can create 100 value.

- EU warns USA that they need to greenlight this USA-UK deal, otherwise the EU-USA 500 value deal is of the table.

- EU makes deal with UK, UK can trade with USA but only if EU gets 5% of all value and UK starts accepting X immigrants per year.

- UK accepts deal and ends up losing more money and taking in more immigrants than post-brexit

Yes, the UK accounted for 17% of the EU's GDP, it is significant and will of course affect the EU.

But unless the UK is able to miraculously multiply it's GDP by 600% in the near future (nope), it will never be able to outbid the EU on any economic/politcal deal :p

If you really think we lose out as much as you do then lol (please do compare the euro and sterling markets to see which one is reacting more stabiliy to the leave :p).

The EU lost 2.5K billion of leverage power, the UK lost 14k billion and is going to need to renegotiate EVERYTHING with the rest of the world.

dude it isn't about that, you made out that you'd give us a shitty trade deal because we left

IT ISN'T IN YOUR INTEREST TO NOT TRADE WITH US

LIKE IT ISN'T EVEN TRUE, WE COULD EASILY KEEP THE CURRENT TRADE AGREEMENTS WE HAVE WITH THE EU.. 

WE COULD POTENTIALLY KEEP THE EU TRADE THE SAME AS IT IS NOW, WHILE ALSO HAVING THE POWER TO NEGOTIATE WITH OTHER NON-EU COUNTRIES

dude it isn't about that, you made out that you'd give us a shitty trade deal because we left

IT ISN'T IN YOUR INTEREST TO NOT TRADE WITH US

Do you really expect the EU to start giving the UK better deals now?

My point is absolutely not that the EU is not going to trade with the UK anymore, my points is that the EU has  alot more leverage power in negotiations with the UK since the UK is not part of the (standardized and collective-minded) union anymore :p There will still be a lot of deals, the terms will just be shittier for the UK than they were before.

My point is absolutely not that the EU is not going to trade with the UK anymore, my points is that the EU has  alot more leverage power in negotiations with the UK since the UK is not part of the (standardized and collective-minded) union anymore :p There will still be a lot of deals, the terms will just be shittier for the UK than they were before.

no, but i don't see it being THAT much worse than it currently is.. I mean as long as we can keep the trade with Europe more or less at current rates, it won't be anywhere near as bad as people make out. 

and i do think we will keep trade at current levels, and accept free movement of labour.. this again, is because 48% of people voted against leaving, and politicians realise that the immigration problem, isn't a problem.

wat.

You just said that the deals will be worse, now you are saying they'll be fine but the UK can't get better deals with EU as they don't have enough leverage and then you say the terms will be even worse than before.

are you agreeing that the UK will be fine? because it's common sense to realize we aren't on the same playing field as the EU now, but it's a mutual benefit to trade, that's what Scotty is saying, it's in everyone's interest to co-operate.

wat.

You just said that the deals will be worse, now you are saying they'll be fine but the UK can't get better deals with EU as they don't have enough leverage and then you say the terms will be even worse than before.

are you agreeing that the UK will be fine? because it's common sense to realize we aren't on the same playing field as the EU now, but it's a mutual benefit to trade, that's what Scotty is saying, it's in everyone's interest to co-operate.

I said they'd be worse, then I clarified that that agreements would still exist but with worse terms for the UK. It's not a contradiction, I just clarified my point.

Ofcourse the UK will remain better off than the rest of the world so sure, the UK will be fine.

It is ofcourse a mutual benefit to keep trading, but you can't expect the EU to give the UK the same EU financial deals that existed before without the UK fulfilling certain EU political  duties, standards, agreements, etc..

Vulgar example:

Since the UK is going to take in less immigrants than other EU countries, the extra immigration costs for other EU countries will need to be factored into financial deals.

When I said crash earlier, it was a bit of an over-dramatization, but I'm very convinced that the outcome of the exit will not be as favorable as pro-leave voter though'd it'd be.

Edited by Botre

I said they'd be worse, then I clarified that that agreements would still exist but with worse terms for the UK. It's not a contradiction, I just clarified my point.

Ofcourse the UK will remain better off than the rest of the world so sure, the UK will be fine.

It is ofcourse a mutual benefit to keep trading, but you can't expect the EU to give the UK the same EU financial deals that existed before without the UK fulfilling certain EU political duties, standards, agreements, etc..

Vulgar example:

Since the UK is going to take in less immigrants than other EU countries, the extra immigration costs for other EU countries will need to be factored into financial deals.

When I said crash earlier, it was a bit of an over-dramatization, but I'm very convinced that the outcome of the exit will not be as favorable as pro-leave voter though'd it'd be.

I can see us accepting normal free movement of labour, the politics today has taken into account that 48% of people wanted to remain. The leading leavers all distanced themselves from the extreme leaver Nigel farage, I personally believe they used immigration to gain votes rather than to implement new policy. Anyone who knows about economics can recognise that immigration is actually a positive for countries with aging populations (any country with enough land for that matter).

• Like 2

It is ofcourse a mutual benefit to keep trading, but you can't expect the EU to give the UK the same EU financial deals that existed before without the UK fulfilling certain EU political  duties, standards, agreements, etc..

Vulgar example:

So we are in agreement, UK will have to continue to uphold their end of the bargain to gain access to the market, which is correct.

I can see us accepting normal free movement of labour, the politics today has taken into account that 48% of people wanted to remain. The leading leavers all distanced themselves from the extreme leaver Nigel farage, I personally believe they used immigration to gain votes rather than to implement new policy. Anyone who knows about economics can recognise that immigration is actually a positive for countries with aging populations (any country with enough land for that matter).

It's really not up to the UK to just accept normal free movement of labour.

Importation of EU workforce will  most likely come with extra new costs for the UK.

EU talent working in the UK will not be contributing to the EU's GDP anymore after all, so this loss of revenue will also need to be somehow compensated. 

Edited by Botre