Sailing & Zeah - what do you think?

blabla123

My thoughts are more likely bias, as i hate runescape and have not played in a long time.

But fuck that skill and everything it stands for.

Theres 3 ways according to the post to train this skill

(1) Ship building (May as well be construction/crafting)                                                    

Navigation 

+                   These 2 things basically being the same thing are a basic fundamental of any RPG. Traveling.

Exploration 

(2) If i wanted to have to sit and shift myself to charter boats (Which are already in the game, go to any port and you will be able to charter) to unexplored areas, they may as well have introduced it as a skill when they released 'Ports' some time ago in RS3. But they didn't want to introduce it as sailing, only to further joke the community that is the players, into thinking so. Instead they release it as a minigame that you have to grind out. More than any other minigame if you actually want to be a top competitor in PvM. More than the majority of skills themselves. I wouldn't be wrong to say also that it would take longer to grind out that minigame for it's rewards, than to get any skill at all in RS3 to get to 99, Some skills to 120 infact.

And by the sounds of the PvP section of the blog, the new world will not be in your own instance but very public, so all islands are open to public free navigation to find the quickest route to your destination without even knowing a single thing about the skill by simply looking up any guide, leaving any sense of accomplishment dead. 

TL;DR

So instead of having the casual Charter for transportation or quest to unlock new areas, you have this super uncreative skill, generated against the will of the players (according to polls and previous statements of never releasing this skill) that will probably result in micro managing schedule based training for most players. and imo will probably end up being on, once again, the worse side of updates.

1)

you'll be able to hire out workers to build you a fleet out of resources you provide them with

So it won't be just sensless building, scraping and repeat thing I hope.

2)

Each time you take your ship out you should have no idea what may come your way. With randomly generated seas and an unthinkable number of possible challenges that could be thrown at you

So there might be guides and I'm sure there will, but there won't be a set of preset paths/routes, it should be randomly generated.

That's why I said at the beginning of my post to read quick through the blog at least once, so you get some confusion sorted out. I think many people act just like that... They see the word Sailing = they hate it = they vote no. All I want is for people to read it and give it a chance. But again, if you hate the game there's not much that can excite you. At least please don't vote no. If you don't play it yourself vote yes for the people who play it :)

1)

you'll be able to hire out workers to build you a fleet out of resources you provide them with

So it won't be just sensless building, scraping and repeat thing I hope.

This is just 1 of the options that are proposed. Also 

that will probably result in micro managing schedule based training for most players.

This applies to those who hire workers for xp.

2)

Each time you take your ship out you should have no idea what may come your way. With randomly generated seas and an unthinkable number of possible challenges that could be thrown at you

So there might be guides and I'm sure there will, but there won't be a set of preset paths/routes, it should be randomly generated.

Without creating an instance, it will be about as random as walking through grass in a pokemon game, a detour or 2, and a few fish to fight. They may be as realistic as to change travel speed according to winds and tides, this does not change how to approach an island from its standing point. 

The end result, being the island will remain in the same area.

The following is a complete guess and possible observation and not how i think how it will be but a possible outcome but not senseable and will further prove my point.

If you were to get Sailing XP by discovering new islands, this would mean the generation and degeneration of islands at random intervals of time. That would still mean that players can easily share information and best routes to and from. if you were to train alone, that would make this skill so RNG it could hardly be considered a skill. Very much like how the minigame of Hide-n-Seek Penguins is coded. 

Randomly spread across the world, but easily mapped in a single world. The obstacles being choice of teleports and agility shortcuts etc.

Indeed, all of it might be true, I hope we will get to see if you were right or not. But then again I see more positive things than negative. And in the end it really can't be more useless/repetitive than firemaking, can it?

Maybe not, but keep in mind, Runescape has lost so many players since EOC. It also has a split community since OSRS came out aswell. I think that more common things such as summoning or dungeoneering ( without rewards ) would be more likely to actually get players back into it.

If this was going to be polled, I don't think it would pass. A few of the bigger streamers polled it and it mostly had 40% saying no 30% saying yes and 30% saying I don't care.

Seeing they want 75% for it to pass I don't think it actually will, however, they might just add it in without polling, can happen, will most likely anger a decent bit of the community though...