A little fun with my car with data logging capabilities

Dreamliner

Hey guys,

My VAGCOM cable came in the mail today so I couldn't resist playing with it tongue.png

It's basically the cable that dealers use to interact with the cars' computers and all of the modules, such as the ECU, airbags, immobilizer, and basically anything electronic in the car. The cable also has capabilities of monitoring engine parameters and can log them to a *.csv file. You can use this file to plot it in excel to see a real life visualization of what's going on in the engine.

Xpe9tfl.png

This is a graph showing
Engine Speed in RPM (blue)
Throttle Position in % of WOT (green)
Engine Load in % (red)
and Cylinder 1 spark timing in degrees before top dead center

This shows a moderate acceleration run from first gear to fourth.  I max out at about 80% engine load while the clutch is engaged (probably due to elevation correction and humidity).

During first gear, I didn't have the pedal to the floor, as I wasn't trying to do a full out run, but during second gear, I said the hell with it and put the pedal to the floor resulting in 100% throttle postion. Didn't continue with Wide open throttle (WOT) into 3rd gear because of speed limits.  Also my car redlines at 6500 RPM so it wasn't a true holeshot.  When the weather is better I'll do one and post results to here tongue.png

tI19b31.png

This image shows the calculated speed of the car per rpm of the engine - it was calculated with gear ratios and tire size

0hukYnN.png

If this kind of stuff interests anyone, please say so and I'll do more tongue.png

did another one, the weather was nice :P

NdcfK1Z.png

Edited by dreamliner

I'm going to save you some money and just say you should stay away from doing anything major to any turbo VW. I hate VW's regardless because of styling, but they are always having problems @ above 300whp mark. My friend had a GTI and it was a piece of shit. 

B5 S4's are great little cars if you want turbo / german. You could also turbo an e36 with relatively good reliability, but you better have $$$$$$.

I'm going to save you some money and just say you should stay away from doing anything major to any turbo VW. I hate VW's regardless because of styling, but they are always having problems @ above 300whp mark. My friend had a GTI and it was a piece of shit. 

B5 S4's are great little cars if you want turbo / german. You could also turbo an e36 with relatively good reliability, but you better have $$$$$$.

I don't have a turbo.

Also don't have a GTI.

In about a year I'm buying either a B5 or B6/7 S4. Can't decide if I want the V8 or V6TT

Also, how is this saving me money?

And I guess you hate Audi styling, because my car shares the same curves as the C5 A6

audi-a6-c5-1-9-tdi-110-76570.jpg

vs.

02PASSATSPORT.jpg

Edited by dreamliner

Always cool to see another VAGer. I got a B6 A4 3.0 with a 2.7t swap planned:D . My first car was a passat 1.8t wagon 5-speed, great car.

all i have to sya is good luck. if you plan to take the engine from an s4 or c5 A6, you have to do an ecu swap. the electrical system on the cars are fucking astronomically complicated, and I wouldn't want to fuck with them. so... i'm buying a b5 s4 in about 6 months smile.png

all i have to sya is good luck. if you plan to take the engine from an s4 or c5 A6, you have to do an ecu swap. the electrical system on the cars are fucking astronomically complicated, and I wouldn't want to fuck with them. so... i'm buying a b5 s4 in about 6 months smile.png

Yeah I got it planned out already just need the funds lol. I'm trying to find an APB block and a matching ECU and there's a guy on Audizine who makes harnesses for the B6. I'm planning on stage 3+ right off the bat with Frankenturbos and the workshappy.png  . When I was looking for an Audi I really wanted a B5 S4 but I couldn't find anything solid. I also wanted an avant too but I couldn't find anything in the time I had.

Edited by DMT