[C] Creating your very own Operating System!

Velocity

I love this community. It's nice, really. So I thought I could finally write my guide on developing an OS since RuneServer is full of

This guide will most likely become huge. I'll try to cover it all as noob-friendly as I can get, so it might take a lot of time. Just be patient while I make edits to this smile.png

Index

• Setting up a Ubuntu box
  • Getting the development cycle ready
  • ???
  • Profit

1. Setting up a Ubuntu box

Developing an operating system can be done easily on Windows. However, the procedure is so much longer and more complicated that we're better off setting up a virtual machine with Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu because I personally love the GUI, you may select any other linux distro. If you're new, just follow along with what I do.

1.1 Getting VMWare

In order to have a virtual machine run in Windows, you'll need an application to do so. I chose VMWare because it was the first one I ever heard of and therefor the only one I am used to. VirtualBox would work fine too, pretty sure.

VMWare is a paid application, but there could be a chance you could find it on a torrent site. Not sure though, so you could buy it like I did lolno or use any other alternative of obtaining it, like robbing a store.

Installation should be a simple process like every other application you install.

1.2 Getting the distro

Since we'll be using the Ubuntu linux flavour, I'll cover how we obtain it. You can just google 'Linux Mint' or such if you want any other distro to be used.

Since Ubuntu is free, piracy of it is allowed. Therefor I take the liberty of providing a link to this. If I am against the rules (which I doubt I am) you may remove the link. http://kuiken.co/torrent/8384713/Ubuntu_12.10_Quantal_Quetzal_(32_bits)

I've given you a torrent link since I figured it's way faster than the direct one. If you want to try out the direct one instead, use this:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso

Downloading it shouldn't take too long. If it does, just be patient. It'll be worth it!

1.3 Adding the distro to VMWare

Now that you have both the distro and the virtual machine (in this case VMWare), you're ready to proceed! VMWare has a very nice wizard that aids you in adding an .iso to the machine. Let's do this together.

• In VMWare, go to File -> New Virtual Machine [picture-icon.png]

@Maxi/Zach/Laz/Kati: Do not remove this yet, please. It's going to be a big project done out of love.

Edited by Maldesto
  • Like 1

I have some previous experience with C++ but all I did was create a remake of Space Invaders with custom Aliens. This summer I was planning on practicing with programming more, and I will use this for sure. Do you think I should get some more programming knowledge before I start this, or can I jump right in with my little knowledge? 

The moment I jumped into this I knew absolutely nothing about C(++). As I wrote above, I'll be as noob-friendly as I can be since in the days I tried to learn it there was no noob-friendly resource. So yeah, just jump right in. I'll even be glad to help you out if something won't work :)

• Like 1

Since Ubuntu is free, piracy of it is allowed. Therefor I take the liberty of providing a link to this. If I am against the rules (which I doubt I am) you may remove the link. http://kuiken.co/torrent/8384713/Ubuntu_12.10_Quantal_Quetzal_(32_bits)

Uh, I suggest you learn what piracy is. Just because something is a torrent does not mean it has anything to do with piracy. Torrents are just a different way of downloading something which might be quicker (since it connects to multiple peers, not just one server). So while you are torrenting ubuntu it has nothing to do with piracy...

• 2 weeks later...