Set Skill Level inside Gui

Elixar

So I read explv's GUI tutorial however It didn't quite cover retrieving integers from JtextField and then setting that input into static Ints

• I want this Public Int to be changed to whatever the user types into the JtextField 
  • I have all the panels and Jframe / Dialogues setup and the GUI is functioning, now Im just trying to get the input data.
	public static int chosenCookingLvl = Gui.thisLevelCook;	 			// This is in another class, This is where I need the users chosen cooking level to be placed

//  GUI CLASS

public static int thisLevelCook;        

JTextField cookLvlTxt = new JTextField(7);   						 // This is where you write what level you want
		  cookLvlTxt.addActionListener(cook -> {      						 // This is the action listener attached to the JtextField where you write what level you want.
		        int cookboi = Integer.parseInt(cookLvlTxt.getText().trim());   
		        thisLevelCook = cookboi;                                 			 // THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH 
              // How do I get this value 
		  });

Any help is appreciated. I have tried to make sense of the JtextField  Swing Documents and looked through multiple cancerous Youtube Videos that had horrendous dubstep music and horrendous talking volumes. :(I have a start button that is functioning, Maybe I need to set the value when the user press's start? not sure how though...

How are you guys making Scripts with a GUI  that let you choose Input for desired Skill levels?
:doge:

Edited by Elixar

It's not enough just to copy/paste code, you actually need to read it and try to understand what it's doing.

Here:

// ...

textField.addActionListener(e -> {

String text = ((JTextField) e.getSource()).getText()

int number = -1;

try {

number = Integer.parseInt(text);

someStaticNumber = number; // let's pretend someStaticNumber is a static int

} catch (NumberFormatException e) {

// err you typed something in, but it wasn't a number!
		}
	});

// ...

When you hit [enter] after typing in a number, that'll kick-start an "action event" which will go on to kick-start a bunch of routines that deal with that event.

SOLVED
Solution

Gui class{

private JSpinner cookLvl;   				// Adding this was part of the solution

public Gui(){
	// I left out 99% of my actual GUI because obviously you need frames and panels.
	cookLvl = new JSpinner(new SpinnerNumberModel(0, 0, 99, 1));              						 // Adding this was part of the solution
      	JButton startButton = new JButton("Start");
		startButton.addActionListener(e -> startButtonActionPerformed(e));     					 // Adding this was part of the solution
			started = true;  
			close();
		});
}

private void startButtonActionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {     									 // Adding this was part of the solution
		Task.chosenCookingLvl = (int) cookLvl.getValue();              										// Adding this was part of the solution
		this.close();
	}
}

I appreciate the PMS everyone, However I just did the less complex solution, I also forgot to 

Use Components for what they are intended for.

• Jtextifled = Text
  • Jspinner = numbers with inbuilt restriction Parameters

Instead of using a Jtextfield and Parsing the Integer + setting up a filter to make sure it only accepts numbers in the text feed that is between 0-99

I just used a Jspinner instead and made sure to set proper variables
problem solved

Edited by Elixar