[Must Watch] Coding Tech

liverare

Coding Tech is a channel on YouTube that has tons of conferences held by veteran software and web developers who've been in the industry since the very, very early days.

One video that struck me in particular is this:

This video in particular has me thinking back to how I used to write code. I've attached to this thread what was my premium Tanner & Crafter script that I no longer maintain, and also my old Clue Scroll Aid script that died years ago. I went for a task-based system with a side order of switch/case statements, and the code really fucking stinks. The only possible salvage are some of the enumerators, data-sets, and maybe a few libraries. However, the main takeaway is that my code is definitely a cautionary tale of what not to do.

From watching this video, Dr. Subramaniam touches on things that I can definitely relate to:

• Technical debt. I ain't got time to refactor my old messes.
  • High complexity = low cohesion. I've tried being a smart ass with how I approached solving a problem, only to then have that "solution" break sometime in the future. Had I kept it simple and not try to account for...everything, I wouldn't have nearly as much 'technical debt' to pay.
  • Code coupling. Even my dependencies have dependencies, and the minute I so much as blink...

These are just some of what I've reflected upon. One reason I bring this up because, while I'm guilty as sin, I know some of you--and you know who you are--who are also guilty as sin.

Another video full of tips:

tanner & crafter.zip

ClueScrollAid.zip

Edited by liverare
  • Like 2

Yes simpler = better in 99.9% of cases

The "Task" pattern that was promoted here is stupid, and so is the whole switch state rubbish.

Would also recommend Clean Code by Robert C. Martin https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Clean_Code.html?id=hjEFCAAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

And The Pragmatic Programmer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pragmatic_Programmer

Edited by Explv
  • Like 4