Bought an account and owner recovered it, help.

Cooper1992

Hi,

my friend bought an osrs account on player auctions a few months ago. The seller (I assume) has recovered the account. My friend has got the accounts stats up drastically and has alot of in-game wealth on that account he bought. Is there anything that can be done? he paid £50 (i think) for the account via paypal, and the guy even sent him a copy of his passport on skype to `ensure it won't be hacked back`. He has failed attempts on trying to recover the account he bought, is there anything that can be done legally or financially to re-imburse him for the real life money he spent? 

That's the story I'm familiar with anyway, I may have missed some details about it because he's not currently here, he'd give me his pure if i can resolve this issue for him :D

You would assume player auctions would be quite reliable on sales, they claim if the seller does recover it then legal action would be taken, but what legal action? This guy has listings of similar accounts so it looks like he's sold like 5 accounts 30 times over. Is my friend even able to do anything with the copy of the sellers passport as a picture sent on skype? Osrs accounts is a digital item so I guess it can't be considered fraud so my friend is pretty much fucked, paid money and trained the account up for nothing?

Any info regarding topic would be a great help, thanks.

I have dealt with PlayerAuctions before and let me tell you, you should look somewhere else. Even if you setup JAG 2-step verification on the account and it's attached email, the original CREATOR of the account will always be able to recover the account. I purchased an account in 2011, I payed $90 on an Initiate pure. Seller had decent feedback and responded to all of my questions, I had the account for less than a week. Once the guy received the seller disbursement he recovered the account. I contacted the PlayerAuctions help desk and had sent emails back and forth to them for over a month until they finally told me that if I didn't pay for account insurance that I was out of luck. Pretty sad. 

Here's proof.

I have dealt with PlayerAuctions before and let me tell you, you should look somewhere else. Even if you setup JAG 2-step verification on the account and it's attached email, the original CREATOR of the account will always be able to recover the account. I purchased an account in 2011, I payed $90 on an Initiate pure. Seller had decent feedback and responded to all of my questions, I had the account for less than a week. Once the guy received the seller disbursement he recovered the account. I contacted the PlayerAuctions help desk and had sent emails back and forth to them for over a month until they finally told me that if I didn't pay for account insurance that I was out of luck. Pretty sad. 

Here's proof.

Thanks for the reply,

Man that really sucks, i'm not sure if my friend has account insurance (not even sure what that is lol) but i'm going to assume even if he did have account insurance on playerauctions the outcome would still pretty much be the same.

If the original owner recovers the account then the insurance will still count for nothing, correct? The account would still be lost, unless the insurance was to cover re-imbursement of the amount paid?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply,

Man that really sucks, i'm not sure if my friend has account insurance (not even sure what that is lol) but i'm going to assume even if he did have account insurance on playerauctions the outcome would still pretty much be the same.

If the original owner recovers the account then the insurance will still count for nothing, correct? The account would still be lost, unless the insurance was to cover re-imbursement of the amount paid?

Thanks.

Account Innsurance is simply a service Player Auctions offers whenever you are wanting to purchase an account by charging you an extra $5-20 to where if you claim the account was stolen back, Player Auctions will re-reimburse you what you lost. 

But, the account will probably not be given back to you if the seller did reclaim it.

Account Innsurance is simply a service Player Auctions offers whenever you are wanting to purchase an account by charging you an extra $5-20 to where if you claim the account was stolen back, Player Auctions will re-reimburse you what you lost. 

But, the account will probably not be given back to you if the seller did reclaim it.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Hopefully he has account insurance then; better to get cash back for what he spent than nothing at all, I just feel sorry for the amount of time he put into training (botting...lol) the account. 

This is like a loophole though you have to admit, the seller can potentially sell the account as many times as he/she wants without any actual legal case against him since it's technically not fraud for the sale of digital goods. The account is property of jagex ltd and real world trading is firmly against the rules. So the owner of the account actually had no legitimate claim for the sale of the account if it went to court. The law would see the whole thing as `transaction for temporary use of the account, but not actual ownership` so the buyer is pretty much screwed either way if the owner decides to recover.

Risky business, I think it's down to how well established the seller is for trust/business relations. 

Moral of this thread: You are alot safer just botting your own accounts to desired stats (risks of ban and requires patience) As opposed to losing real money (paypal) for an item that is never guaranteed safely yours. Even payment for an account with 07gp is worse than paypal, I'm sure you can use your imagination as how easy it is to scam account sales with 07gp as opposed to paypal.

• Like 1