Before you start wanting to create a "script".

sparta417

Hello. I'm new to this bot but I am however experienced with programming in Java and RuneScape bots.

I'm just letting anyone know that if you attempt to create a script, or in specific terms code a script with the Java programming language without ANY prior experience, you will NOT get far.

Don't immediately assume you can just hop on the coding bandwagon and whip up a nice script with simplicity. Programming takes logical reasoning to a whole new level; sure you can make the MOST SIMPLE script there can be, but you'll never be able to achieve full priority of developing a hands-down impeccable or nearly flawless script.

Programming takes patience, rationality, and organization.

I suggest having at least one years experience of programming, if not even more (highly recommended) before taking on something that you are fairly new to. Many high schools offer Computer Science or Computer Programming courses (advanced or not advanced) that can push you to learn any programming language within a year. I also recommend, if you are doing this right now, to practice programming in your spare time. Find yourself projects to work on such as a game or a challenge to develop an algorithm that you are fond of. (The A* pathfinding algorithm is a fairly good approach to start at)

Along with this useful advice coming from someone who took has 4 years of experience in Java, I also suggest looking into these links:

Getting Started with Java

Java Version 7 Documentation

Java Version 8 Documentation

Version 8 of Java is the newest and latest version to date.

Some fairly good IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) are:

Eclipse

Netbeans

IntelliJ

BlueJ

And to finalize my first thread (which is what I usually post for other people on other forums):

Never give up. Don't belittle yourself and put the MOST effort you can into the time space you have; you can achieve anything. When you are programming, never think of it for the money. Think of it as a list of challenges that you must face and re-iterate, test, and rinse/repeat until you bring it to the utmost product that you deem it as.

Edited by sparta417
  • Like 1

I mean, while this is true to an extent, you really just need to know if statements and osbots api.

Being able to write good quality code that performs well and isn't a total clusterfuck works requires you to have knowledge in the four OOP pillars (Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance, and Polymorphism) as well as being knowledgeable in both the Java and OSBot APIs. You even need to have some background on concurrency to understand how certain things work.

Being able to write good quality code that performs well and isn't a total clusterfuck works requires you to have knowledge in the four OOP pillars (Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance, and Polymorphism) as well as being knowledgeable in both the Java and OSBot APIs. You even need to have some background on concurrency to understand how certain things work.

If you were to see the source to my code, it's incredibly sloppy and unorganized. It works for me though because that's just how I am. You can write the best script out there that's 10000 lines long, and has every method just sitting inside one class. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but it's not required.

imo java is not suited as a scripting language at all. It could be so much easier to script for osbot if someone creates bindings for some proper scripting language, or create a new one, which can be embedded into java...

I agree, but you could always develop some sort of plugin system to add content to your script in a language that compiles into Java bytecode (JRuby, Scala, Xtend, Groovy, etc.)

imo java is not suited as a scripting language at all. It could be so much easier to script for osbot if someone creates bindings for some proper scripting language, or create a new one, which can be embedded into java...

This is actually a side project of mine :o I've been working on a compiler for a less verbose language that accounts for certain design patterns in it's specifications (most design patterns exist due to lack of specification that enforces that structure) for the JVM. On the side, I've been writing up a lexical analyzer that abides by a slightly modified version of the node pattern a lot of scripters seem to use. Pretty funny that you've mentioned that, because you're 100% correct :D I already got something in the works. As far as I know, you simply upload a JAR containing the binary files to upload a script, yeah? If so, then I see no reason for compatability issues; BotScript would compile to bytecode (until further investigation of possibly using AOT compiled scripts on a native client)

When you say proper scripting language what do you mean? Because Java is used by many companies and is considered one of the best languages. Are you saying that they should implement some kind of basic code for users with little to no programming experience?

And the reason I'm assuming they use Java is because runescape is coded in java, they only started switching to HTML5 with RS3.

P.S. Not trying to be hostile, I'm just trying to understand your statement. I'm not really farmiliar with OSBot scripting. I used to code for an Arma server and after experiencing the language they use (SQF) java looks so simple and easy.

Edited by Dose

When you say proper scripting language what do you mean? Because Java is used by many companies and is considered one of the best languages. Are you saying that they should implement some kind of basic code for users with little to no programming experience?

And the reason I'm assuming they use Java is because runescape is coded in java, they only started switching to HTML5 with RS3.

P.S. Not trying to be hostile, I'm just trying to understand your statement. I'm not really farmiliar with OSBot scripting. I used to code for an Arma server and after experiencing the language they use (SQF) java looks so simple and easy.

That's exactly what he means. Java is a multipurpose language, with the verbosity to show for it. It's a lot of power for what's actually needed, and to create a good, clean script, you'd need a decent understanding of an actual programming language.

With a language targeted for bot scripting, you can remove a lot of the syntax requirements Java's specification requires, allowing people to focus primarily on script related tasks. The amount of learning someone needs to do to write a script can be cut into a fraction

• Like 2