Browser Privacy: How to Disable HTTP Referer

Superman_

Today I'm going to explain what HTTP Referrer is and why it is potentially dangerous to your Runescape account safety (ANY accounts from your IP).

Let's start with a brief explanation of what HTTP Referrer is and how it works:

Essentially, any link you follow to Runescape's website, or any website Jagex owns, will give an HTTP Referer containing the URL of the webpage you clicked the link on to Jagex. So, if you're on Osbot, for example, on any page, and you click a link that directs you to Runescape's website, Jagex will have record that your IP... which is linked to all of your RS accounts... was redirected to their site directly from whatever page on Osbot.org you were on. The same concept applies to any website that has anything to do with RS cheating (or any website at all, really).

So what does this mean for users?
Well, essentially, if you ever follow any links to Runescape's site, or any website owned by Jagex (this includes the old RSBot site that has been repossessed, among others), from a site such as Osbot (which Jagex is well aware is notoriously known for RS cheating), Jagex can identify what specific URL you were on that directed you to their site. So, if you click a link to RS while on a site such as Osbot, Jagex has the power and ability to link your IP to your RS accounts, and they will know that you were visiting or participating in a website known for containing cheating information or products. Jagex could use this information to flag your IP and any accounts associated with it, and watch you even closer for rule-breaking.

So how do I prevent this from happening?

It's actually quite easy, and it is different for every browser, so if you disable this HTTP Referer feature in one browser, it will not protect you if you use a different one.

firefoxlogot.png Mozilla Firefox firefoxlogot.png

1. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.

2. Find the entry that says Network.http.sendRefererHeader and double-click on it.

3. Set the entry to one of the following:

0 – Disable referrer. <--- This is what you want to set it as
1 – Send the Referer header when clicking on a link, and set document.referrer for the following page.
2 – Send the Referer header when clicking on a link or loading an image.

chromelogo.png Google Chrome chromelogo.png

Google Chrome does not allow you to disable this through any of their own features. In order to disable your HTTP Referer in Chrome, I recommend an extension such as this one:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...llklmbakbphhll

operalogom.png Opera operalogom.png

You can disable the HTTP Referer so that the browser is not sending it with your HTTP requests. In Opera, go to opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableReferrer, then uncheck the box, and finally save.

safarilogoh.png Apple Safari safarilogoh.png

Use a different browser. Safari currently does not have any working plugins or extensions that can successfully do this. If anyone is aware of one that works, comment or send me a PM and I will test it on my iMac to confirm.

internetexplorerlogo.png Internet Explorer internetexplorerlogo.png

Use a different browser. Internet Explorer in itself is outdated, bulky, resource intensive, and lacks many features that come standard with most other browsers. And on top of that Microsoft has stated there is no way to disable HTTP Referer on Internet Explorer, nor do they intend to add such a feature.

Congratulations, assuming you've followed everything in this guide properly, you should now be safe from threats related to HTTP Referer headers while clicking links to Runescape (or any other site, for that matter). If anyone has any difficulties, or any questions in general, feel free to ask! If your question is common or the answer could be useful to future readers of this guide, I may add an FAQ section with your question! Hope you guys found this useful!

FAQ

Q: How can I avoid being tracked without doing any of the above, or using a browser that does not support disabling this feature?

A: There is a very easy solution:

1. Right click the link and copy the URL
2. Open a new tab and paste the URL into your address bar
3. Press enter to navigate to this URL

Why does this work? Simply because the referer only works if you click the link or right click -> go to URL. Simply copying the URL and then pasting it into your address bar will not tell the new site where you are coming from.

Q: If I type a URL into my address bar while on a cheating site, will the website I'm navigating to know the last site I was on?

A: No. The only time the HTTP Referer will give information to the intended URL destination would be if it's through navigating there via clicking a link, even right clicking into a new tab.

Credit Auxilium and Trent!.

Edited by Shami
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...