Need a new laptop.

RoomScape

Imo they're the only type of laptop worth getting as they're as portable as it gets.

I personally would suggest high resolution displays as well, especially if you're not gaming which usually limits you to 1080p or less.

What do you think of the Asus N550jk/n551jq or Lenovo x carbon?

What do you think of the Asus N550jk/n551jq or Lenovo x carbon?

The Lenovo is rather lacking to be quite honest, the processor is an i5 which isn't exactly the best for "future-proof" performance. You can apparently get it with an i7, though the price is still too high imo when it only uses Intel onboard graphics.

Between the N551JQ and the N550JK, I would recommend the latter due to the fact that the main difference being RAM capacity and GPU power.

THe N550JK has 8GB and an 850m, whereas The N551JQ has 16GB of RAM and no discrete card and again runs off the Intel onboard graphics.

The Lenovo is rather lacking to be quite honest, the processor is an i5 which isn't exactly the best for "future-proof" performance. You can apparently get it with an i7, though the price is still too high imo when it only uses Intel onboard graphics.

Between the N551JQ and the N550JK, I would recommend the latter due to the fact that the main difference being RAM capacity and GPU power.

THe N550JK has 8GB and an 850m, whereas The N551JQ has 16GB of RAM and no discrete card and again runs off the Intel onboard graphics.

Yeah, any laptop I'm getting is going to have an i7. It's worth the extra buck since I'll try having this for a while.

Is the Intel graphics that horrible?

Yeah, any laptop I'm getting is going to have an i7. It's worth the extra buck since I'll try having this for a while.

Is the Intel graphics that horrible?

For laptops I wouldn't really say an i5 is worth getting anyway, laptops have really diminished performance due to the heat management so an i7 is just the safest bet.

As someone that tried the highest end Intel HD graphics available, it is appalling, it's impressive they made them so energy efficient and all, but even the simplest of games like LoL won't perform well on it.

• Like 1

For laptops I wouldn't really say an i5 is worth getting anyway, laptops have really diminished performance due to the heat management so an i7 is just the safest bet.

As someone that tried the highest end Intel HD graphics available, it is appalling, it's impressive they made them so energy efficient and all, but even the simplest of games like LoL won't perform well on it.

I think I played LoL once, lol.

But hmm, ok.

It was meant just as an example ;P It's not demanding at all, and it runs rather poorly on an Intel HD 4600 (the highest end one)

Haha, I know. I was just kidding. :p

But I'm leaning towards the N550JK for the time being. It seems like a decent laptop for a cheap price so why not?

• 3 weeks later...

Not going to build my own and I want to stay around $2k. I've seen some MacBook Pro's, but I prefer Windows 7 laptops.

I was looking at some Lenovos and even the Dell XPS 15. Don't suggest me Macs, please. I already looked into them and am looking at Windows 7 Laptops right now.

Casual use but I'd like something strong where it won't be lagging if I play am occasional game or watch a movie. I usually multi task a lot also so I need something that won't lag.

Aren't your that guy on p****bot?

Not going to build my own and I want to stay around $2k. I've seen some MacBook Pro's, but I prefer Windows 7 laptops.

I was looking at some Lenovos and even the Dell XPS 15. Don't suggest me Macs, please. I already looked into them and am looking at Windows 7 Laptops right now.

Casual use but I'd like something strong where it won't be lagging if I play am occasional game or watch a movie. I usually multi task a lot also so I need something that won't lag.

Check out the Surface Pro 3. Great battery life, fast processor, great for mobile people, can be used for gaming/homework/note taking etc..This is the one I've had my eyes on for awhile, I've done my research!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3-i3-64-gb-tablet/productID.300190600?vid=304047100&WT.mc_id=rtm-Surface-Pro-3-i3-64-gb-tablet

Might be able to find cheaper elsewhere, and I know  Microsoft offers student discounts too so it could be even cheaper.

• Like 1

Check out the Surface Pro 3. Great battery life, fast processor, great for mobile people, can be used for gaming/homework/note taking etc..This is the one I've had my eyes on for awhile, I've done my research!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3-i3-64-gb-tablet/productID.300190600?vid=304047100&WT.mc_id=rtm-Surface-Pro-3-i3-64-gb-tablet

Might be able to find cheaper elsewhere, and I know Microsoft offers student discounts too so it could be even cheaper.

I already have a tablet and I'd rather not pay 2k for a new one.