Advanced Java OOP Assignment

Cory

Seeing things like this make me wish I could go to college and do a Java class. I looked into it after leaving school but there were no colleges anywhere near me that did Java as an actual course, they all worked with many different things and the majority of courses were just computer science and you'd only have a single module on Java.

Although even if I went to college or university to do a Java course I could probably pass all the assignments without attending a single lesson lol.

• Like 1

Seeing things like this make me wish I could go to college and do a Java class. I looked into it after leaving school but there were no colleges anywhere near me that did Java as an actual course, they all worked with many different things and the majority of courses were just computer science and you'd only have a single module on Java.

Although even if I went to college or university to do a Java course I could probably pass all the assignments without attending a single lesson lol.

You are just too good.

• Like 1

Well that's because computer science isn't just java. To write efficient code you need to know how computers work on the low level. Computer science in my college works with c++ and studies low level code and how many cycles each code takes etc

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why are 60% (/more) of the people posting in this thread trying to be 'cool' by saying it's easy and just talking like an idiot in general. This would be under the 'advanced' classification but obviously advanced is a very general word. I've done many assignments in the past that are labelled as advanced blablabla which have been stupidly easy to me but that doesn't mean they aren't advanced. Advanced is a relative measurement.

The OP posted this for people who might want to give it a bash and maybe learn from it if it wasn't obvious.

Why are 60% (/more) of the people posting in this thread trying to be 'cool' by saying it's easy and just talking like an idiot in general. This would be under the 'advanced' classification but obviously advanced is a very general word. I've done many assignments in the past that are labelled as advanced blablabla which have been stupidly easy to me but that doesn't mean they aren't advanced. Advanced is a relative measurement.

The OP posted this for people who might want to give it a bash and maybe learn from it if it wasn't obvious.

Advanced is not a very general word when you're talking about a universal programming language like Java. This is DEFINITELY, not advanced Java, by a long stretch. This is hardly even intermediate.

"Advanced is a relative measurement"

Relative to what? The person's capabilities? Or the professor's desire to actually give the student somethingbrain challenging?

You're indirectly saying it's okay to be dumb

Advanced is not a very general word when you're talking about a universal programming language like Java. This is DEFINITELY, not advanced Java, by a long stretch. This is hardly even intermediate.

"Advanced is a relative measurement"

Relative to what? The person's capabilities? Or the professor's desire to actually give the student somethingbrain challenging?

You're indirectly saying it's okay to be dumb

So, are you telling me when you go into the first year of Uni that it's not advanced compared to your last year? I went to this programming training mini course two months ago and as they attempted to 'teach' us a lot in only a two week time frame so we literally got handed a test we had been taught nothing on (we got told if we failed we'd get taught the required info and we could sit it again, kinda funny right?) that was at level a level 7 (HNC) level which in Scotland is the first year of Uni (http://prntscr.com/3dzt5k + the test is given because we got certificates upon successful completion). Luckily, it was easy (of course it wasn't the biggest test in the world) but does that mean the people who are doing their first year of University don't have an advanced ability? What do you call people that do there honours at uni, uber advanced? It's just advanced throughout.

Relative to the persons opinion who defines how advanced the task is. Here's an example: 

When you do something simple like remove a virus from lets say your parents PC and they think you're a genius. To them they think you've done something advanced, you think you've done something easy; who makes the standards for what is advanced and not advanced? You do, based on your understanding (which is based on what people say etc.). The arguments against IQ can give you an insight on how it's hard to measure intelligence (because it's hard to measure intelligence it's hard to accurately define how hard a task is without your personal bias (in this case that'd be your knowledge) towards that subject). 

I wasn't saying it's okay (at the time) to be 'dumb' but it is okay to be 'dumb'.

You clearly didn't read my post properly. And I did't read yours cause you went out of context right at the start. Just cause it's hard to you doesn't make it advanced. What I find advanced is something a 20 year experienced software engineer finds easy.

And no, I don't judge whether it's advanced or not. The board of education decides that.

lol

You clearly didn't read my post properly. And I did't read yours cause you went out of context right at the start. Just cause it's hard to you doesn't make it advanced. What I find advanced is something a 20 year experienced software engineer finds easy.

And no, I don't judge whether it's advanced or not. The board of education decides that.

And how did you come to that conclusion? I gave an example, that doesn't mean it's out of context. I didn't say I find it hard lol, I do program for a living you know (junior developer - which I can of course prove).

You don't need to have 20 years of experience to program well. Twenty years experience will mean the finished product will be better due to a better implementation of the development process and other things which depends on their own experience. Bare bones programming you shouldn't notice much of a difference between a good programmer with 5 years exp vs a good programmer with 20 years experience when they create an application to do the same tasks.

*sigh* You as in yourself, have an opinion on what advanced is. In this case your opinion of what advanced is in regards to educational topics is what the board of education (in the US?) says is (which is naive, standardized testing cannot define practically applicable ability which means you can't define advanced ability precisely with them - feel free to look it up). I said "Relative to the persons opinion who defines how advanced the task is." which also applys to who you believe defines what the term advanced (in regards to educational topics, I hope) means. I have no intention of explaining a concept to you a second time.

Edited by Fringie

And how did you come to that conclusion? I gave an example, that doesn't mean it's out of context. I didn't say I find it hard lol, I do program for a living you know (junior developer - which I can of course prove).

You don't need to have 20 years of experience to program well. Twenty years experience will mean the finished product will be better due to a better implementation of the development process and other things which depends on their own experience. Bare bones programming you shouldn't notice much of a difference between a good programmer with 5 years exp vs a good programmer with 20 years experience when they create an application to do the same tasks.

*sigh* You as in yourself, have an opinion on what advanced is. In this case your opinion of what advanced is in regards to educational topics is what the board of education (in the US?) says is (which is naive, standardized testing cannot define practically applicable ability which means you can't define advanced ability precisely with them - feel free to look it up). I said "Relative to the persons opinion who defines how advanced the task is." which also applys to who you believe defines what the term advanced (in regards to educational topics, I hope) means. I have no intention of explaining a concept to you a second time.

Once again, way out of context. The board of education in relation to the particular course you're taking determines whether the topic is Basic - Intermediate - Advance.

It's not my opinion, it's a fact. My opinion on OP is Basic, the board of education has listed that as Advanced for that particular course.

"Which is naive" - The board conducts a general/global test to X random students, based of average score points a graph indicating the mid-point which is then used a reference, topics are then laid out on that graph and(usually) evenly cut into three in segments of topics.

This education system is used all over European school/universities. I could care less about your courses, your idea of Advanced is subjective and yes, it is subjective to the level you're taking it in, not the student/individual them self. These vary between various national boards who conduct tests from many countries, this has been used at my University for Computing Software Development last September and this whole topic you've got drilled in your head has been guide lined to all students to understand where they currently stand.

I won't bother continuing this post, you're by a long stretch, wrong.

Also, applies* not applys

Yo why the FUCK are non-programmers postin in this bitch saying it's easy?

FIRST OF ALL:

Any project could be as complex or simple as you want to make it.... The general outline of this project might be simple, but leaves alot of room for cool ideas. The project never said you couldn't do something cool/compex with the meta-data you're generating.

Second of all:

Generating and chascing the meta-data in an efficent way is a challenge in iteslf. Maybe not if you're pulling data from 1 site, but multiple sites, parsing multiple types of data, and soon you're going to need a dataase and good way to store all that.

Anyways, if it's so easy that you';re not going to bother putting any thought or code into the project why bother post?

• Like 2