Jagex suing botters / botting companys

William

Whatsup guys? I hope you guys have an great day smile.png

I've seen alot people discussed about if Jagex ever went to court with a botting company or not.

I remember when they said that they're going to court with Ibot if you guys remember that client. It was the only client that worked after first months after the Bot Nuke.

In 09 November 2011 they wrote a article about this at their news page. They talked about IBot and here's what they said:

Are you suing IBOT?

Absolutely. Jagex is engaged in ongoing legal proceedings against the developers of IBOT – with formal proceedings being initiated in the US (Massachusetts) some time ago. Trial is currently scheduled for mid 2012. Jagex is confident that it will prevail in this litigation and the developers of IBOT will eventually be forced to stop interfering in the game environment envisioned for legitimate players.

Does anyone here know what happend with the company? Did they get sued or was this just a lie to scare people off? I just can't imagine Jagex taking this to court, think about all the time and what it would cost.

They also talked about suing people like you and me, who just use the bots. And yes, apparently they did sue some certain players.

If so, wich certain players was this? 

"Is Jagex suing its players? If so, what gives?

Yes, Jagex is suing certain players who choose to disregard the terms, conditions and agreements entered into by them and continue to use bots, but it is also offering them a one-time amnesty. Jagex filed a lawsuit in the Central District of California in 2011, against unnamed persons (the technical terms is ‘John Does’, like in CSI!) who were themselves botting in RuneScape. These are the people playing RuneScape who are using third party software to bot, unlawfully getting round our technological measures designed to stop bots, and breaching our terms and conditions and the longstanding rules of RuneScape. Jagex received Court permission to ask PayPal for enough data to identify these people.

Once it had Court permission, Jagex then asked PayPal to provide enough information to identify who these people are so Jagex could name them as potential defendants in the lawsuit and otherwise enforce Jagex’s rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). PayPal provided this data, as ordered by the Court.

Jagex emailed these people to offer them a one time opportunity to reform, stop botting, and settle out of the lawsuit. While Jagex hopes that these people will reform and stop botting, it ultimately is up to these people who are botting to decide whether they want to take the olive branch Jagex is offering or alternatively continue to unlawfully bot. Jagex is trying to give these individuals a simple one-time opportunity to do the right thing and stop. Remember, 99.97% of gold farmers use bots."

Would love to bring a discussion about this, I find this very intresting.

An company in UK, would they really pay all the costs for etc sue a medium big gold farmer in etc Brazil?

Happy botting! smile.png

Complete horseshit and scare tactics. 
No action was or will ever be taken against a botter. That's is comeplete shit.

As for botting companies, I'm certain jagex was aware of my client back when it existed, but they never took any action whatsoever, so I doubt it'd happen to any others.

To clarify:

Botting isn't illegal. How the hell would anybody get sued for something that isn't illegal.

Edited by Solution
  • Like 1

Complete horseshit and scare tactics. 

No action was or will ever be taken against a botter. That's is comeplete shit.

As for botting companies, I'm certain jagex was aware of my client back when it existed, but they never took any action whatsoever, so I doubt it'd happen to any others.

It just sounds so scetchy that they wrote about IBOT even on the news homepage, if no action happend?

I can understand tho that Jagex could sue a botting company if it was based in UK.

It just sounds so scetchy that they wrote about IBOT even on the news homepage, if no action happend?

I can understand tho that Jagex could sue a botting company if it was based in UK.

Why would that be sketchy? it makes it seem like botting is something scary that one shouldn't do, while in reality, especially in those days, nobody gave a fuck.

Jagex has very very little ground to sue on in such a case, and the chances of them ever winning a proper court case about it is super unlikely.

Jagex did sue one company that developed a botting client many years ago (and won). That was the only case. Ever since then, the law was unfortunately not on their side that's why they couldn't do the same with other botting clients. As for goldfarmers, that never happened and will never happen because there is no legal frame for a law suit on this case.