Why are Blu-ray for Anime so fucking expensive

ANIMA VESTRA

I don't exactly live paycheck to paycheck but why the fuck are blu rays so goddamn expensive? Was looking out to purchase the Bakemonogatari Blu Ray and that shit's like at $149.99. I got a shitton of money saved up but shit why tf they overcharging so much?

And then the Fate / Stay Night UBW Blu Ray is set at around $398 like smh I can pay for a fine ass hooker off backpage instead of watching that 2d ass like forreal.

Anime has a very small fanbase and small distribution. A good anime with good animation, good soundtracks, good plot, good dialogue with good actors is going to cost a lot. Not to mention the  licensing and localization.  

Anime in the western region produces large quantities of the more popular animes so it's going to cost less but that still doesn't make up for the small audience, a good portion of which such as @The Hero of Time who torrent or even worse stream the show not only not supporting the studios who created the show but the streaming network for simply having it in public display in lesser quality. 

A good way that large companies counteract the cost of all this is by making less copies & simply charging a lot to those who they know are going to buy. The collecters. The ship merchanters and the insperationalists. To keep them more rare and collectible is why they make less copies.

• Like 1

Anime has a very small fanbase and small distribution. A good anime with good animation, good soundtracks, good plot, good dialogue with good actors is going to cost a lot. Not to mention the  licensing and localization.  

Anime in the western region produces large quantities of the more popular animes so it's going to cost less but that still doesn't make up for the small audience, a good portion of which such as @The Hero of Time who torrent or even worse stream the show not only not supporting the studios who created the show but the streaming network for simply having it in public display in lesser quality. 

A good way that large companies counteract the cost of all this is by making less copies & simply charging a lot to those who they know are going to buy. The collecters. The ship merchanters and the insperationalists. To keep them more rare and collectible is why they make less copies.

we have a small audience, so we dont make much money. lets charge them $300+ !

yeah thats not going to work l0l no one will pay 300+ for a fkin 1-2 hour movie

• Like 1

Would you pay £550,000 for a stamp .1864-1d-Rose-red-plate77-plus-4d-bright-

Probably not but someone else will. Also as anime is in it's current state, this is the more widely believed better alternative. 

The reason they are so expensive is because that's the price the majority of people who actually buy anime DVDs (hardcore fans, collectors, etc...) are willing to pay for them. 

Since illegal downloading became so mainstream, the '18 - 29 year old without money demographic' pretty much kicked itself out of the traditional DVD target market :p

Yeah some people will x)

TV / streaming licensing & milking collectors / hardcore fans = their entire business model :p

Quick conclusion:

Physical media in entertainment has become more of a vanity item than an actual way to purchase the content they store, it's the reason why cassette and vinyl sales outperform cd's in physical music sales and why expensive "ultimate collector" edition dvds are so prevalent. Since the internet made media content virtually worthless, content producers had to adapt, some of them struggle with it, others do a brilliant job at it.

• Like 1

pay for anime? :???:

Yeah for the shows I've really enjoyed that have provided be with hours of entertainment, I wanna support them as much as possible and keep a local copy of it for myself. Not to mention all the extra stuff they also sell like art work, redone scenes, animator Q&A's, etc.. But I'm a cheap bastard.

I'll probably end up buying the Bakemonogataari Blu ray later this week just for the sake of that show, but fuck I wish they made this stuff easier to access with cheaper prices.

Yeah for the shows I've really enjoyed that have provided be with hours of entertainment, I wanna support them as much as possible and keep a local copy of it for myself. Not to mention all the extra stuff they also sell like art work, redone scenes, animator Q&A's, etc.. But I'm a cheap bastard.

I'll probably end up buying the Bakemonogataari Blu ray later this week just for the sake of that show, but fuck I wish they made this stuff easier to access with cheaper prices.

ive already watched all seasons of monogatari :boge: 

except the 3 movies of kizumonogatari and ONA koyomimonogatari