Thermal Paste..

thexokid

So when is it recommended to change the heatsink, built the pc around 4 months ago 

Whenever you get a new one. If you never change it from the stock one, you really won't need to reapply it unless you're doing some crazy overclocking, in which case you should probably have something that isn't a stock heatsink.

I recommend changing every 5 years or so, heatsink paste can and will dry over very long expanses of time.

It's best to avoid the issue before it sticks your CPU and heatsink together, believe me that's not something you want to experience.

I think ill be safe and change it every year and a half.. Ty for the help guys

• Like 1

I recommend changing every 5 years or so, heatsink paste can and will dry over very long expanses of time.

It's best to avoid the issue before it sticks your CPU and heatsink together, believe me that's not something you want to experience.

Yeah but honestly, not many people use the same computer for over years at a time anymore, maybe 3-4, then you find they usually replace.

(Especially if they built their own gaming box, etc)

Yeah but honestly, not many people use the same computer for over years at a time anymore, maybe 3-4, then you find they usually replace.

(Especially if they built their own gaming box, etc)

Given that each paste will dry at significantly varying rates, it's still not something you should leave alone.

My brother not too long ago (in the process of upgrading) had his CPU stuck to the heatsink and had to be forcefully removed, it's still a concern.

Given that each paste will dry at significantly varying rates, it's still not something you should leave alone.

My brother not too long ago (in the process of upgrading) had his CPU stuck to the heatsink and had to be forcefully removed, it's still a concern.

I can generally notice if the CPU is overheating, my whole computer seems a bit more 'jumpy' and I get unnecessary fps lag. So I generally check if its abnormal around then.

I always thought the thermal paste needed to be in that smooth state in order to get the correct connection with the heatsink, interesting.

The liquid itself isn't usually what makes thermal paste good for thermal conductivity, it's usually the particles within it (silver, diamond and various other materials).

Once the paste initially works into gaps on the CPU and the heatsink, the liquid has pretty much served its purpose.

• Like 1