COMPLETED (for now) Space Invaders [Java Project]

Gold Scripts

Hello everyone, I have decided to make a Space Invaders Java application from scratch. I have never personally created a game using Java before, but I feel like it will be a fun and rewarding task to complete. I am also doing this as a final project for one of my college courses. I have roughly a 12-15 days to complete this, challenge accepted. (I feel like the Atari developers who were asked to create ET) laugh.png

As the project develops, I plan on posting source code and providing development progress. I am doing this in hopes of others being able to learn about how basic java games function, and gain the ability to create something similar.

Creating a Java game is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and creating this post is valuable for me because I will be able to receive feedback on my code and input from other users about the functionality as a whole. 

TO DO

Add Collsion

Better graphics

Create ArrayList of alien entities, and move them

High score system (Started)

Better center the bullets

6HQUmYA.png

Edited by OG Scripts
  • Like 2

One tip would be to make a UML diagram and stick with it.

Think about the hierarchy of classes, interfaces, abstract classes, etc. It helps to start big and work small.

For example, create an Entity Interface that has x,y coords, velocity, etc. Have everything drawn to the screen implement Entity.

Good Luck!

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

One tip would be to make a UML diagram and stick with it.

Think about the hierarchy of classes, interfaces, abstract classes, etc. It helps to start big and work small.

For example, create an Entity Interface that has x,y coords, velocity, etc. Have everything drawn to the screen implement Entity.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip man, I will be sure to do this. wink.png

Noice!

Accepted* tho xD

Apa

Hahaha. My bad. facep.gif

I always wanted to make a game. I'll come back and check it later. Hopefully I can follow your steps and make my own. mald.png

I have to go to work in a hour, but i'll be up late working on this. I'll be sure to update on how things are going late tonight/early tomorrow smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I appologize for the late reply, but final projects and school work has been eating up all of my free time. Currently, I have nearly finished this Space Invaders project. The final thing I have to implement is collisions, but I will be uploading some source code soon. I am strongly considering making a guide on this, because the entire project is completed in JavaFX, and there isn't many decent JavaFX simple game guides out there.. or at least I couldn't find many. Also, I added some photos to the main post