Buying new desktop/laptop need advice

shankfish

So after 5 years my laptops hard drive failed, it's old and there's no point in buying a new hard drive. I have roughly 600-1000 dollars as s budget, I do not know how to make my own so I would like some advice on what to buy. I would use it for college work as well as playing games like LOL and runescape as well as sc2. In your opinion what should I buy and what brands or sites do you reccomend? Thanks in advance!

So after 5 years my laptops hard drive failed, it's old and there's no point in buying a new hard drive. I have roughly 600-1000 dollars as s budget, I do not know how to make my own so I would like some advice on what to buy. I would use it for college work as well as playing games like LOL and runescape as well as sc2. In your opinion what should I buy and what brands or sites do you reccomend? Thanks in advance!

High-end GPU build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZfsbZL

A more conservative GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NcZ4mG

Both builds will destroy everything you mentioned you want to do, i7 is not necessary given your use-case scenario.

I personally would recommend keeping the SSD for your commonly used programs etc, however it isn't necessary and can be removed.

If you need any help when building it, you can contact me on Skype; ArcanaFXS

High-end GPU build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZfsbZL

A more conservative GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NcZ4mG

Both builds will destroy everything you mentioned you want to do, i7 is not necessary given your use-case scenario.

I personally would recommend keeping the SSD for your commonly used programs etc, however it isn't necessary and can be removed.

If you need any help when building it, you can contact me on Skype; ArcanaFXS

Cute lil' build but steady and trustable.

Can someone give me an idea of what the big differences between motherboards are?

Usually the brand will bring different benefits to the motherboard, ASRock is typically a cheap manufacturer (who I personally do not recommend)

On Intel's side, you'll get "B", "H", "Z" and "X" boards, this will determine what grade it is.

B = Business, lacks a lot of features, has the essentials for a operable PC.

H = Mainstream board, also lacks a lot of features but will likely have more interfaces (USB etc)

Z = Higher end mainstream, will typically have overclocking features and usually has software to accompany it.

X = Top of the range, highest end board with extreme amounts of upgrade paths.

Typically the board letter will determine what chipset number it is, for example "Z" is usually Z*7, the * denotes what socket type it is.

Depending on the CPU you want, your motherboard choice will be limited to a certain socket, and the newer the chipset (and CPU), the more benefits you will get.

If you're not overclocking, anything like a "H" or "B" is your best bet because there's no point overpaying for features you will never use.

• Like 1

Thank you so much

Do you get the computer shipped to you already made from that site?

Nah that website just locates the cheapest shops with that particular piece of hardware, theoretically saving you money.

Building a PC really isn't hard if everything has been picked out for you, because it will all be compatible.

Plus there's a lot of reputable guides out there such as LinusTechTips etc.

I'm really not comfortable with building my own, the thought of breaking one of the expensive parts raises my stress levels through the roof lol

Tbh it's not easy to break hardware, you'd have to drop it or something in order to potentially damage something.

Static is a concern, but I and many people I know who build PCs have never killed hardware with static.

It's kinda common-sense as to what you can and can't do with the hardware.

I would strongly suggest building your own. It's extremely easy, all you really have to do is plug things in, and screw in a few things. You can find lots of video tutorials, also you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything, for the most part it's all pretty sturdy and can withstand more force than you would think. I was hesitant at first because I thought I would end up breaking something, then afterwards I was completely surprised with how easy it was to do. But if you insist on buying a pre-built computer/laptop, I've heard HP was good, I have an Acer laptop that's still in great shape after about 3 years. Just don't buy a Mac. :P