kScripts Collection

Alek

Figured I would post a little background on my scripts, with the particular theme of my donations (a hot topic). First I would like to start with some history:

May 2013 - While at a competitor botting client where I was a scripter, there was no method of distributing (no SDN) besides sending the class files. Eventually a few people made something called a "script loader", however the fees to use this third party software was outrageous and you lost complete control of your script. From here I decided to make my own authentication system for my first premium script, kCatherbyCooker. The authentication system was bare bones and keys/serials were hand made, emails were sent manually.

June 2013 - I had left the competitor bot and joined OSBot. There was a lack of scripts here and it was apparent that the community was in desperate need of scripts of significant value. I tried to quickly learn the VASTLY different API and utilized various snippets to include @Brainfree's behemoth called "Splinewalking".

The script that came out of this was kMiner, with the first location being in Varrock. I knew this project was going to be big so I implemented a "Live Stat" system which tracked total ores mined, exp gained, etc. The users that started to use the script was skyrocketing and I decided to add more and more free areas. Everyone was having a huge success and enjoying the free AIO mining script. I didn't want to flip on all my customers and start demanding money, however the time I invested and the quality of the script deserved some sort of recognition.

This was the turning point. I confronted Kati and various other developers about adding additional areas that were donator only areas, however I would retain the free areas. What was convincing was that the "free" and "donator" aspect were contained within the same script, meaning I wouldn't neglect the free version. I got the "go ahead" with the stipulation that I made it clear on my website that the funds were to be obtained only by me and not for the development of OSBot. From here and still to this day, all funds are used to maintain my website, purchase legal versions of software, and pay for incurred expenses as part of scripting.

A proggy from kMiner:

prog.jpg

Present - Eventually I had to shut down kMiner because the project was entirely too time consuming. The supporting donators I had were rewarded by having continued access to the script, which went on to live for an additional 4 months without breaking from lack of updates. In summary, the script gained over 4 billion exp with an estimated 3.7 billion exp coming from free users only.

I still wanted to continue scripting but didn't want to jump into another AIO. From here I decided to create combat scripts, a section which was lacking at the time. My combat scripts followed the same principles as kMiner, having a script entirely functional with some extra perks for donators. Most my combat scripts are based around combat experience as the core element, with looting as a perk.

I've had great success with kWarriors:

14l3ryx.png

and also from kOgres:

2yjzhvs.png

However I did make a mistake with kGoats and kUnicorns. These were two scripts that had a core of money making with combat exp as being an additional perk. However the problem with these scripts, was that the core of the script was only available to donators (looting). After multiple reviews and complaints from other script developers, these scripts have been removed from my website and the SDN. I am sorry for circumventing the system, and I hope that the community doesn't think less of me because of what happened.

As it stands, it appears that a few scripters still have an objection with me. These scripters however are in direct competition with me and it seems that my donation prices are much lower than their premiums. Although I will not name them out of respect, I feel that their script prices are heavily inflated and is largely backed by their desire to make money (not a bad thing, their scripts are of high quality and are deserving).

I will keep trucking along and seeking to make new, quality scripts that users on a budget can enjoy while providing those generous donators a token of my appreciation.

There has been some great stuff I have been working on and my authentication system just keeps getting better. As it stands, the system is fully automated and the minor hiccups are now easily tracked and addressed. Thanks for your time and I hope this clarifies many of your questions.

Respectfully and with much love,

Alek

• Like 4

Interesting read. I find it actually ingenious that instead of charging a rate to even download the script, you simply added an option to buy more features for it if the user desired. OSBot should actually implement something like this themselves due to the amount of scripts that could be considered "not premium worthy" but have that one aspect that they could charge money for.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading about your past/current projects and I'm grateful that you plan to continue making new scripts that people with limited funds can enjoy.

I'm not against paying for scripts. I actually used to only use premium at one point but when I see scripts in the SDN that cost $4 or $5 and I know that the script writer probably wrote it in less than a few hours I feel like the lack of scripts for that task is being taken advantage of.

Edited by EpicPins

Interesting read. I find it actually ingenious that instead of charging a rate to even download the script, you simply added an option to buy more features for it if the user desired. OSBot should actually implement something like this themselves due to the amount of scripts that could be considered "not premium worthy" but have that one aspect that they could charge money for.

yeah you get to test the script before you buy it :]

• Like 1

I don't see the last part as a problem, but I guess too many others pressured you into it and etc. You could just put them for sale as premium scripts on the SDN like everyone else and have a collection of certain free scripts and a collection of premium scripts. I think it would work out quite nicely. You could even have a list of the free and premium ones in your signature and etc. :)

Good to see that you've come such a long way Alek.

(inside joke) I love you Aleky <3

• Like 1

You should just re-upload your scripts as premium for the same price, or a little increased due to fees.

I did find it a little "not-okay" that the core aspect of looting was disabled, but it definitely wasn't out of competition, it just didn't feel right.

Besides, our unicorn scripts had the same price, but my was premium, so I get like 40% of that amount, whereas you received nearly full amount cool.png

@Mikasa, kDruids in Taverly is a great training spot and is comparable to kWarriors. A lot of people use it as a "money making" script because it drops herbs, however warriors drop the same herbs at about the same rate. Despite this, I plan on adding some sort of looting.

If I make it completely free, I'm sure many scripters who have theirs priced at over $5 would be very disgruntled. There will probably be some revision soon and I will make an announcement either today or tomorrow.

@Nitrousek - That's why I removed kUnicorns and kGoats from my website and the SDN (it's stated above in case you only skimmed through smile.png )

Yeah, I read that, I just suggested that you should re-upload them on SDN with premium price.

I don't mind any competition, just makes me care more and try harder to provide better ^^