Going from Windows to Linux OS

Frohst Biten

I have recently been using Linux based school computers for c/c++ programming and have began to like it more and more. As I get older I find myself getting angrier and more distrustful of Microsoft (the constant ridicule of their ethics/practices from professors certainty doesn't help).  Not only that but the control and cool security shit that you can implement also seems interesting. The fact that everything is open source, even most of the software built for Linux, gives a good sense of security even though I'm realistically never going to look through it. 

My main question is this: As someone who has grown up used to Mac and Windows OS what is the glaring problem or unfamiliarity's when trying to get used to Linux. Even though I have a good idea of how it works, the idea of wiping my computer's OS and replacing it scares me, what will I fuck up if I make the switch and so on. I know you don't necessarily have to worry about viruses but is that true, is there a good antivirus program I should have installed, I mean I wouldn't trust a computer running windows without malware-bytes and some other security software on top of that. 

On an entirely other note is video editing. It's not something I need, I just like to get intoxicated and make edits that I never post anywhere. Do programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects run as smothly as they do on windows (not to imply that they run smoothly to begin with). 

Rather than wipe your computer to do a fresh install of Linux, you can look into dual-booting. This allows you to have both a Windows and Linux installed on your machine. While Linux has a lot of great advantages, I wouldn't ever recommend completely giving up access to Windows because there are many programs that don't run on Linux. Here's a great article on dual-booting Linux and Windows: https://opensource.com/article/18/5/dual-boot-linux

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Delision said:

Rather than wipe your computer to do a fresh install of Linux, you can look into dual-booting. This allows you to have both a Windows and Linux installed on your machine. While Linux has a lot of great advantages, I wouldn't ever recommend completely giving up access to Windows because there are many programs that don't run on Linux. Here's a great article on dual-booting Linux and Windows: https://opensource.com/article/18/5/dual-boot-linux

This is literally what I was looking for, I was wondering if I could run a mach-VM or something of Linux to try and play the games I play, or try and to access the school work I use to see if I can write papers and open up .docx files and whatnot.