Learning Java and Scripting

EgoLiberation

Hey guys, just wanted to share my progress learning java just like some other posters here. 

No programming experience so starting from scratch and would love advice as I go along. I'm open to wherever this takes me but my goal is to be able to create private scripts for myself (and hopefully others)

Looking at learning the basics of java using Codecademy at least in the beginning. I'm going to try doing a couple lessons today and see how long it takes. 

edit: finished a couple codecademy lessons. Will try to blast through the rest of them tomorrow. So far learned about the primitive data types and variables. Having a lot of fun with this!

Finished Variables on Codecademy

Finished OO programming on Codecademy 

Took some time off but am back on the horse. I've done up to loops in Codecademy and im going to start looking at youtube videos for learning how to make some simple woodcutting scripts. 

goals.. 

Create a woodcutting script that can 
- cut trees
-drop logs after full inventory and resume cutting

-bank logs and return to tree and resume cutting

-can change locations with certain level requirements

- can change axes once it reaches the level requirement

-Added GUI

-Added Paint UI - XP gain (p/hr/ Time Running / Logs Chopped (p/hr) / profit (p/hr)

Spend the last couple days making the woodcutting script.

Got my woodcutting script to cut logs and drop them and resume cutting trees. 

Gonna work on banking next.

Finally finished adding banking. Spent some time learning the osbot API and I got the bot cutting trees and banking consistently now. I want to work on Adding the ability to upgrade Axes and move to different spots and banks, and use an GUI to manage that process. 

I finally finished adding the ability to switch axes once I reach the correct level. I had spent a few days relearning java with Java MOOC instead of Codecademy and it has been much easier to understand and apply what I'm learning. I used what I learned to make this functionality work properly and I managed it in a couple days after learning. Now I'm going to add the ability to switch locations.

• Made a really basic GUI that has a dropdown menu for selecting the tree and a dropdown menu that changes the locations that it shows based on the tree you select. 
    • had lots of trouble with this. I'm completely new to this kind of thing but somehow managed to get it working. Now the character will chop normal trees, oak trees, and willow trees with 1 to 2 locations for each tree. 
  • Working on adding banking or power chopping functionality to the GUI 
  • Working on adding a paint.

Edited by EgoLiberation

You really only need minimal java experience to write your first basic scripts, but I highly recommend learning the basics of programming before jumping into writing your own scripts. A great resource for me when I first got into programming was https://www.sololearn.com/ which has a lot of really good free resources to learn the basics. Once you've done that, I recommend checking out these threads to start writing your first scripts:

Eclipse:

IntelliJ:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Delision said:

You really only need minimal java experience to write your first basic scripts, but I highly recommend learning the basics of programming before jumping into writing your own scripts. A great resource for me when I first got into programming was https://www.sololearn.com/ which has a lot of really good free resources to learn the basics. Once you've done that, I recommend checking out these threads to start writing your first scripts:

I did some research on both eclipse and IntelliJ and a lot of people say eclipse is more beginner friendly but IntelliJ is better long term but in the end it doesn't really matter which one I pick right?

Thank you for the solo learn resource, I'll check it out.. would learning the basics of programming involve stuff that isn't necessarily about java? or is it learning the basics of Java itself

edit: I see it's about learning java itself. Thank you Delision

Edited by EgoSlave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EgoSlave said:

I did some research on both eclipse and IntelliJ and a lot of people say eclipse is more beginner friendly but IntelliJ is better long term but in the end it doesn't really matter which one I pick right?

Thank you for the solo learn resource, I'll check it out.. would learning the basics of programming involve stuff that isn't necessarily about java? or is it learning the basics of Java itself

edit: I see it's about learning java itself. Thank you Delision

Yeah SoloLearn's free Java course is a really great introduction in my opinion. As for picking between Eclipse and IntelliJ, I agree with the sentiment that Eclipse is more beginner friendly, but there's nothing wrong with using IntelliJ right off the bat if you find you prefer it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, twincitygamer said:

Good luck man. Followed the post to see your journey!

Thanks a lot twincitygamer, I'll be updating day by day with my progress! Does that mean you'll get notifications when it's been updated if you're following?

1 hour ago, Delision said:

Yeah SoloLearn's free Java course is a really great introduction in my opinion. As for picking between Eclipse and IntelliJ, I agree with the sentiment that Eclipse is more beginner friendly, but there's nothing wrong with using IntelliJ right off the bat if you find you prefer it.

Perfect... 

I also want to create an account creator script for making accounts one day, I understand I'll probably need anti-captcha too. What resources can I use to make that happen once I learn java or will java help me do that too?

Edited by EgoSlave

3 hours ago, EgoSlave said:

I also want to create an account creator script for making accounts one day, I understand I'll probably need anti-captcha too. What resources can I use to make that happen once I learn java or will java help me do that too?

Uhh in today's world with the current Jagex website, you don't need it. They got something that's a even bigger pain in the ass than captchas now for mass creations lol (Look into Incapsula/Impurva as that's what they implemented now)

Also this might help
https://www.programiz.com/java-programming

• Like 1

updated

22 hours ago, Gunman said:

Uhh in today's world with the current Jagex website, you don't need it. They got something that's a even bigger pain in the ass than captchas now for mass creations lol (Look into Incapsula/Impurva as that's what they implemented now)

oh PERFECT! lmaooo I'll just focus on java for now then maybe theres some service I can use when the time comes if I can't figure it out on my own

• EgoLiberation changed the title to Learning Java and Scripting
17 hours ago, Articuz said:

If you're looking to improve it, maybe try making an AIO Woodcutting script that will upgrade axe, change tree and location when it has reached required level, then do the same for other skills and if you're confident enough try making new kind of scripts for e.g moneymaking.

That's such a great idea. Thank you for the idea, it will be great for some progression so I don't get stuck.

I'm new to OSRS scripts, but I have a decent amount of Java experience.

My main advice would be to take breaks if you get stuck so you don't frustrate yourself too much. Also don't be afraid to ask questions! A majority of the time, your question can be easily answered by someone with more experience. Much better to get help than be stuck on one issue for hours on end.

Good luck!