Osrs GP so low

cowcow98

Like the other comments stated it's simply the law of supply and demand. It applies to any economic market, but the other comments suggest there is just more gold in the game which I don't think is necessarily true.

• The law of demand says that at higher prices, buyers will demand less of an economic good.
  • The law of supply says that at higher prices, sellers will supply more of an economic good.

When less players demand gold or prefer to access it via in-game offers such as bonds it causes the sellers to reduce their prices in order to get more sales. When COVID first hit lots of people demanded gold which ultimately caused the price to spike. This was short lived and followed by a rapid decline to the price we're now at (around 0.50c if not less).

Gold sellers won't want to hold onto too much gold if nobody is buying it and in some cases won't even trade you from their own account, but instead from the gold suppliers account to reduce their overhead and risk. This causes the suppliers to stockpile their gold and eventually leads to them selling it at a lower price just to get it off their hands. If the gold sites were in high demand for gold they would be searching far and wide for suppliers, but because that isn't the case and there is a surplus of suppliers they can simply middle man the trades and get pennies per million. With the typical mark up being around 0.20c each 100M is worth approx. $20 in profit. More suppliers/bots = the longer they can hold off on buying it because they're in no rush or ultimately pay less than it's worth and increase their profit margins.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cowcow98 said:

When the Twitch prime offer will be over do you think the price will return to normal?

From my perspective the price have rised a little bit since prime started. Maybe farm owned needed extra gp to stock up on supplies, accounts, primes, not sure. My guess would be that gp will drop after the primes when everyone cash outs :) 

• Like 1

I watched the price last night over @Alch went from £0.39>0.38>0.37 I was considering buying some. Seems to have gone back up to 0.39 though 2p doesn't really make a huge difference, it definitely did with the bulk I was considering to buy. A lot of the problem is down to the endless farms people create whilst the prime promotion is on-going. Though, I can't complain as it crashes the market in osrs to make profit on once things start to come back up. Another benefit is the fact gold becomes cheaper to buy. The downside is the economy is destroyed & people selling gold lose out a lot.

• Like 2